Lounger
    Thanks

Backup software can't create shadow copies

I have a windows 7 OS and have problems using windows back up restore. Cant create shadow copies after 2 1/2 years of using it. I have used Acronis Truimage 2011 in the past which is uninstalled now. Can I redownload it to use now or would there be a problem. I have the Disc and the serial code. Also is EaseUS Todo any good to use for backing up. The computer is an Hp pavillion about 2 and 12/2 years old.

Thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Check your "Volume Shadow copy" service in the services section to ensure that it's set to "Active". And also ensure that it's dependence, RPC, is also active.
    Type: "services.msc" in the run box.
    You may also need to perform a "SFC /SCANNOW" to affect a repair, this can be done by opening an elevated command prompt.

Acronis TI or any other 3rd party imaging application ought to work fine provided your operating system isn't corrupted.
    No sense in imaging a corrupted OS. I recommend attempting to figure out why the shadow copy service is unable to start.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Both services seem to be active I tried your SFC Scannow and I donthtink it showed anything Retried backup and got this message "A shadow copy could not be created. Please check VSS and SPP application event logs for more information. Details: insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data." It was error message 08X81000019. Tried researching the error and thought the System Volume partition was under 40 gigs of free space.

Thanks
    Do you have a specific Event ID error code?
    Is there actually insufficient storage available?
    Volume Shadow Copy Service Operations

More information:
    Diagnosing Failures in Windows Server Backup - Part 1 (VSS/SPP Errors)

Lastly:
    How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Lounger
    Thanks
    sorry meant there are 37.5mg free out of 100 mg of space on system volume partition. Is the number required to be at least 40mg for it to run a shadow copy? And is there a way to regain that space? Im not intensively tech savy so if there is an easy way to fix please let me know otherwise I will use an alternative. Thanks and I appreciate all your help.

mart44
    Quote Originally Posted by schonman View Post
    sorry meant there are 37.5mg free out of 100 mg of space on system volume partition. Is the number required to be at least 40mg for it to run a shadow copy? And is there a way to regain that space? Im not intensively tech savy so if there is an easy way to fix please let me know otherwise I will use an alternative. Thanks and I appreciate all your help.
    I think you have correctly identified the problem. It isn't anything to do with how much space there is on the backup drive. Unless there is enough free space in the 100MB reserved partition, the backup will fail. Research on recovering that space tends to be a bit inconclusive. I have noticed that sometimes this free space will recover on its own after a few reboots. I've also discovered that since installing Bitdefender Internet Security, nothing recovers enough of the 100MB space for the Windows 7 backup/imaging to work. So maybe some programs take up that space to work properly. Have you installed anything recently?

I've searched for and found a solution here (link below - solution not tried by me) if you still want to use Windows 7 backup. Other than that, a third party program should work OK. I still use Windows7's own imaging with some systems that I have backed up into images. For the one that has Bitdefender installed on it, EaseUS ToDo (paid) is used.

http://mlevit.wordpress.com/2009/11/...te-0x81000019/ (W.O.T green rated site)