New Lounger

Buy or Rent a Cable Modem?

Brighthouse, our cable company, just changed their terms of service. They now want to charge $3.50 a month for the cable modem. I took a look on eBay and Amazon and it appears I can replace it with an identical one for between $15 (used) to $50 new. That gives a good payoff time but I am concerned about what happens if I have networking problems. I also noted however that if I want to move to faster cable service I need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem which costs a little more.

I have never had a modem problem in the 10+ years being on cable but we do have a lot of thunder storms. If I own rather than rent and lose connectivity, they can tell me my modem is at fault and I am offline until I can get a replacement. For that matter, if I have any problems, they can blame it on my modem and I am screwed. Also, if I buy a used modem, how can I tell if it works and works on Brighthouse?

Does anyone have experience with owning their cable modem and can give me some advice. Is it worth the risk to save a little money?

St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 904 Posts
    Check the Brighthouse support web site for modem compatibility.

If Brighthouse supports DOCSIS 3.0 you should definitely get that type of modem. I never had a problem with our cable provider when I had my own modem for about 8 - 10 years. As part of some "deal" and "upgrade" I had to start using a modem from Charter but am not being charged separately for it. I think they have figured out that if they include the modem in the basic fess they eventually get surety about the devices on their network.

Like Joe, I have been using my own cable modem on Comcast for more than 8 years and have never had a problem with Comcast support. They have been over twice to relay my incoming cable when I had internet connection issues and they never questioned my modem as the cause. They measured the incoming signal and could tell it wasn't up to snuff.