Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't share files between Windows 7 and Windows XP machines

I was successfully sharing files between a 64-bit windows 7 computer and a 32-bit Windows XP machine. No password was required. At least I could read and write to the XP machine from the Windows 7 machine. I had no need to try it the other way.

Then, my Windows XP machine developed a problem (infinite loop during boot) that required me to use the "rescue" disk provided by the OEM to reinstall the windows XP operating system.

Now, The XP machine is visible in the Windows Explorer of the Windows 7 machine, but whenever I try to display the directory (folder) structure of the XP machine from the Windows 7 machine, I get a pop-up window asking for a user name and password. I provide these, but they are taken as invalid.

I have done everything suggested in the various "help" files. The computers are in the same workgroup. The folder I need is marked as shared. I have identically named accounts on both machines.

I recall that I had difficulty getting this to work previously until I discovered just the right trick which I don't remember anymore. Any suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Do the accounts have the same username and password?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Do the accounts have the same username and password?
    If not, add a new user to the XP machine with the same user id/password as the Windows 7 machine.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. Both the account ID and password are the same on both machines.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are you trying to share a folder that existed before the reinstall?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My main interest is in sharing files created after the re-install, but I am able to view no file on the XP machine from the Windows 7 machine.

My windows 7 machine is named JIM-PC. My XP machine was previously named OLD-JIM.

Somewhere in one of the help files, it was suggested that I change the name of the XP machine, so I renamed it to OLD-JIM2 (all of that before I started this thread in the lounge).

The user name on each machine is “Jim”

When, on JIM-PC, I open the windows explorer, click on “network” and choose “refresh” from the “view” menu, a listing for “OLD-JIM2” appears. Attempting to expand “OLD-JIM2” brings up a window entitled “Windows Security” that instructs “Enter your password to connect to OLD-JIM2.” Below boxes for user name and password, there appears the notation “Domain: JIM-PC.

I found this confusing because I did not know that I had a domain. I simply have an Ethernet LAN.

When I enter my user name and password for OLD-JIM2, I am presented another window saying “Enter your password to connect to : OLD-Jim2”. This second window does not ask for a user name but only for a password. Above the box for the password is the notation “JIM-PC\Jim.” Note that it asks for a password on OLD-JIM2 but appears to expect a password for JIM-PC.

The confusion should not matter since the account names and passwords are the same on both machines.

When I enter the password, the second of the 2 windows asking for a password repeats.

Incidentally, “Jim” is an administrator account on each machine.

I suspect that I need to somehow wipe out the network settings on one or both machines and start from scratch, but I am not sure how to proceed. I would prefer not to tamper with the Windows7 machine, since it is my main workhorse, unless necessary.

I am grateful for any advice that I get.

Jim AuBuchon

Administrator
    Thanks
    The issue here are the security settings, not the network. Each computer here is a domain. Without a server operating system, each user account is only valid in its own domain, that is, JIM-PC accounts are know just to the JIM-PC computer and OLD-JIM2 accounts are know just to OLD-JIM2. That's why the advice about having an account with the same username and password is given - the computer only cares about usernames and passwords and when you provide a pair that exists in the computer managing the resources at stake, it will allow access to those resources. With the absence of domain controller in the network, each of the computers can only rely only on the accounts they hold.

We link to this article many times, as it provides one effective way to share files and printers, so have a look and see if it can be of any help:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-7-and-xp/

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all.

I did review that article at http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-7-and-xp/ as suggested by ruirib. It is a good article, but all of my setting were in keeping with the article before I initiated this thread. They still are.

Incidentally, before the reinstall of the operating system, I was able to share more or less arbitrary files, not just files in folders named "shared" or "public". I was also able to do this selectively between the 2 computers I have been discussing while disallowing sharing with the other 2 (of 4) computers on my LAN I could read and write files on the third computer (a Windows Vista machine) from my Windows 7 machine (JIM-PC), but the Vista machine and the 4th computer had no access to any other computer.

Now, The Windows 7 machine does not even see the Vista machine. This is strange since I did not change anything on either the Windows 7 or Vista machine (even I find this last statement suspicious, but it is true).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    After the reinstall of the OS, did you double check that the workgroup names are the same?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Joe.
    YesI check the workgroup names -- probably a dozen times. I have checked and rechecked all of the setting several times.

Perhaps, I should give up and try a different approach. The two machines are physically close. I understand that they can be made to communicate through USB ports. I have never done that and know nothing about it. I am thinking of trying.

Jim

Thanks
    Hi Jim,

As you have multiple computers with different operating systems, I suggest SkyDrive on only 1 or 2 of them. If you install SD on them all, it will put a copy of the SD folders on each PC. The other computers could just access SD directly for access, providing you have a Microsoft Account.
    I used to do it as my attachment, but it meant leaving my 2 PC's ON 24/7. File sharing.pdf
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roadrunner,

I appreciate the suggestion of SkyDrive, but it is not for me. There is no way that I will allow my personal information to pass through some server somewhere on the Internet, especially a Microsoft server. I suppose that I could encrypt them first, but that would be a lot of trouble. I could as easily pass files through an intermediate device such as a Thumb Drive. It may be that SkyDrive provides encryption (I really have no idea about that), but that would mean trusting Microsoft again.

I agree with ruirib that the most likely place to look for a solution is in my security settings. There may be some sort of interaction with some of my security software. I use ZoneAlarm "Extreme Security" firewall, Webroot "SecureAnywhere" malware detector, and TruCrypt whole disk excryption on the Windows 7 machine. Before the re-installtion of Windows XP, the XP machine also used TrueCrypt whole disk encryption. All worked well. Since the re-installation, the XP machine uses no encryption. It used the Windows built-in firewall and the free version of Avira antivirus software both before and after the re-installation.

All that may mean nothing. If I understood the problem, I wouldn't need help.

Jim

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AuBuchon View Post
    Roadrunner,
    I appreciate the suggestion of SkyDrive, but it is not for me. There is no way that I will allow my personal information to pass through some server somewhere on the Internet, especially a Microsoft server.
    Jim
    I zip & password protect folders before adding to SkyDrive. How to Zip.pdf
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AuBuchon View Post
    Thank you, Joe.
    YesI check the workgroup names -- probably a dozen times. I have checked and rechecked all of the setting several times.

Perhaps, I should give up and try a different approach. The two machines are physically close. I understand that they can be made to communicate through USB ports. I have never done that and know nothing about it. I am thinking of trying.

Jim
    See this old post, Troubleshooting file shares on a home network. It may help.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have achieved a partial solution that is sufficient for my needs. It is not fully fixed, but I can live with it.
    I want to thank all who have taken the time to help me.

For the curious:

Throughout this mess, each computer could successfully PING the other; each computer could also see the presence of the other in the Windows Explorer. They could not, however, share files. Throughout, each computer had Internet access, and each could print to my (hard wired) network printer. Throughout, the other 2 computers in my home continued to have Internet access through a wireless router.

My Windows 7 machine was demanding a “network password” for my account on the XP machhine. Even removing the password from all accounts on both machines did not change this behavior.

Finally, a small change in the topology of my LAN has achieved some success. This is strange since, throughout this mess, I had been careful not to change the physical wiring that had worked before the re-installation of XP.

My Internet service provider (AT&T) provides a box that is a combination modem/router/Ethernet hub. This box does not have enough Ethernet ports. So, I plug a powered Ethernet Switch into one of them. This provides additional ports. My Windows 7 machine was plugged into a port on the AT&T modem , as was my printer, while my XP machine was plugged into my Ethernet switch. I point out, again, that this worked before the re-installation of XP.

I switched the printer and XP ports, moving my XP machine directly into the AT&T modem and the printer to the Ethernet switch (which, recall, is, itself, plugged into the AT&T modem).

The Windows 7 computer can now read and write files on the XP machine. I can no longer print from the XP machine which can not find the printer. Weird, huh? It had no trouble finding the printer before the re-installation of XP.

I can live with this situation, but it would be nice to be able to print from either machine. As a test, I returned the printer to a port directly on the AT&T modem by switching ports with a box by Vonage that provides voice over IP telephone service. The Vonage box works whether plugged into the AT&T modem or into my Ethernet switch. The XP machine can not print in either case. Even if I plug the printer directly into the Ethernet port on the back of the XP machine, it can not find the printer.

I will have to solve the printer problem later. Right now, I need to do my tax return.

Thanks, again.
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast