New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy W0rd 2010 macros stopped working

This past week, all of the macros in my Microsoft Word 2010 program stopped working. They are all still there; if I open the Developer > Macros function, I can see them listed there, and if I click on the Run button, they run but when I am working in a document file and click the appropriate trigger key combination, nothing happens. If I create new macros, I get exactly the same results: they are there, I can step through them, but they do not work. I have confirmed that the File > Options > Trust Center > Macro Settings setting is still set to enable all macros.

I have no idea what could have happened, except that I ran the "free" one day trial of the AVG PC Tuneup program last weekend, and I am half afraid that as a special favor to me, to protect me, the program did something to prevent macros from running on my system, but I cannot imagine what that would have been.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do about this?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It sounds like the macros are still able to run but the keyboard shortcuts to them were removed (possibly by AVG). Macros and the keyboard shortcuts to them are completely separate - if either is removed then the shortcut will no longer work.

Try recreating the keyboard shortcuts and make sure they are stored in the appropriate template.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That's not it, Andrew. The keboard shortcuts are still there (which is how I can "Run" the macros in the Macros function, but Word simply ignores the keyboard shortcuts when I try to use them inside a Word file. I HAVE recreated the macros; same results. I have created new macros: same results. Evrything looks fine, except that they do not work.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you explain the exact steps that do run the macros? My interpretation of the following description is that this is running the macros directly (without keyboard shortcuts).
    if I open the Developer > Macros function, I can see them listed there, and if I click on the Run button, they run
    As far as I can tell, the dialog that appears from Developer > Macros doesn't display the keyboard shortcut. It does display a description field where you might have added text but this is not the keyboard shortcut.

I would add a keyboard shortcut to run a macro by going to File > Options > Customize Ribbon > Keyboard Shorcuts (Customize...) > Categories = Macros

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You are absolutely correct, Andrew - the Developer > Macros function simply displays the name assigned to the macro, not the keyboard shortcut … and I can "Run" any of the shown macros by clicking on it and then clicking on the Run button, even though that same macro program simply ignores me when I press the associated keyboard shortcut combination of keys that I assigned to the macro when I created it. As I mentioned, I tried re-creating the macros, which made no difference, and I tried creating new macros as a test, and they exhibit the same problem.

Before I received notification of this second note from you, I had already figured out that I could assign a macro to the Quick Access Toolbar, and I have done that, finding that they work fine when I click on the associated QAT icon. This means that I am in business again, and it was made a little more compatible after I figured out how to assign different icons to each macro selection, but it really is not as convenient, because it means taking my hands off the keyboard to reach for the mouse, moving the cursor to the desired icon, clicking on it, and then moving my hands back to the keyboard - whereas before all I had to do was touch the associated keys, which hardly interrupted my typing at all. That added amount of time is significant to me, because I am a minute-taker for local community boards and commissions, and I am typing what people are saying at the meetings, which gives me very little time to go play with the mouse.

You mentioned in your first note that I had either lost the macros or lost the keyboard shortcuts. I clearly have not lost the macros (only their usual operability). I cannot imagine how I could have lost the keyboard shortcuts, and I also cannot imagine how I would find out if I had done so, because I cannot find any place in the system where keyboard shortcuts, as such, are stored.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As I said, you can add a keyboard shortcut to run a macro by going to File > Options > Customize Ribbon > Keyboard Shorcuts (Customize...) > Categories = Macros.
    The trick to setting keyboard assignments is paying careful attention to where these keyboard customisations are stored (current doc vs attached template vs Normal template). They should be stored in the same location as the macros themselves.

If you want a list of the current keyboard shortcuts then you can go to File > Print > Settings - Click the dropdown "Print All Pages" to change it to "Key Assignments"