Thanks

Word 2010 Outline Number Problem - 2.1 2.2 Displays as 1.2, 2.2

I followed Shauna Kelly's instructions to create new list styles that I named AmendHeadings. I then associated those styles with my Heading styles. All seemed to be working fine in the blank new document in which I created these styles. However, when I copied all my new styles into another document, the numbering went haywire. Instead of 2, 2.1, 2.2, etc., I was getting 2, 1.2, 2.2., 3.2, etc. In the third paragraph, I get 1.3, 2.3, 3.3, etc. It's like the second digit is picking up the Heading 1 level number and the first digit is picking up the Heading 2 level number. Anybody know how to fix this? I've searched all thru the Lounge and see all kinds of tips on working with different problems, but I didn't find a message exactly on this. I've perused all over the web as well and looked at a lot of the links provided by posts here, but I don't see anything exactly like this. Any suggestions? Thanks!

-Rich

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You've entered the field codes in the wrong order. Modify your list style by clearing the Enter formatting for number box and then enter the level numbers in the correct order.

This is a very easy and frustrating mistake that I've made many times. So next time you create a list style (or even a regular multilevel list) put the cursor in the first level 1 heading and click the built-in 1 heading 1, 1.1 heading 2... badge (or the one closest to what you want) in the list library. With your cursor still in heading 1, click define new list style. In the modify style dialog, you'll see all the setting of the built-in list except for the styles links. But setting style links is much less error prone. And you'll have to set your indent (number alignment) options.
    Pam Caswell

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PamCaswell For This Useful Post:

CyndieBrowning (2013-03-01)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PamCaswell View Post
    You've entered the field codes in the wrong order. Modify your list style by clearing the Enter formatting for number box and then enter the level numbers in the correct order.
    Thanks, but I wish that were the case. I tried entering them again even before posting my question, but that didn't fix the problem. The styles worked just fine when I created them. I experimented with all different levels to see how they worked. It was only after I copied those styles into a new document that the problem occurred. And now it won't go away. However, just to be safe, I will try it all again and make sure I enter the field codes in the right order and see what happens. Thx.

-Rich

Thanks
    Well, duh! I take back what I said in my last message. You are correct: it's operator error. I fixed it. Sorry for the confusion! ;-)

Thanks.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rcbjr2 For This Useful Post:

CyndieBrowning (2013-03-01)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Like I sorta said: Done that, been there. I'm glad you sorted it out.

Cheers!
    Pam Caswell

Thanks
    Like I sorta said: Done that, been there. I'm glad you sorted it out.
    Well, I now have another problem. I recreated it all and it works fine in the new document where I created the numbering scheme. I copied the styles into some existing docs. In some, numbering works just fine. However, in others, the numbering doesn't re-start at different levels, so I get

etc.

I looked at the list styles and the "restart list after level" option is set correctly. Any thoughts on this one? Not sure why it works for some docs and not for others.

Thanks.

-Rich

Thanks
    Well, never mind, again. I reapplied the Heading 1 styles to appropriate paragraphs and that fixed the lower level mis-numbering. Thanks!

-Rich

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RCBjr2, whenever you have the mis-numbering problem that you described, the best way to fix it is to go back to the first paragraph in your document that has autonumbering and click on the Define New Multilevel List command again. Go thru each level of your outline and make sure they're all doing what they're supposed to. Nine times out of ten as soon as you click OK, the problem will have fixed itself.
    Cyndie Browning
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA