Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Windows 7 dual boot to Windows 8, using Win. 8 upgrade

Trying to do something, leaves me a bit undecided if it can be done. This is a new Dell Inspiron, Windows 7 with 64 bit OS. Microsoft offered that when I bought this laptop, I could buy Windows 8, for $15, which I did. Unfortunately, even with almost 19 years of computing experience, I missed the term UPGRADE, in Microsoft's offer, and got a downloaded upgrade to Windows 8, which means over writing Windows 7, which I don't want to do. Microsoft changed Windows 8 a great deal from what I've read, so my plan had been to partition my HD, which I already did, but when I got the upgrade, I found an upgraded Win. 8, MUST be installed over the existing Windows 7. No good. I want both, Win 7 to use, and Win 8 to learn on. But I thought of this method, but don't know if it would work, without a Windows 8 CD.

I have the Wndows 7 reinstall disk from Dell, and since my HD is already partitioned, if I could install Windows 7 again, on the new partition part of the HD, then maybe Windows 8 upgrade, could be installed over it, while leaving the original Windows 7 undisturbed. If that was possible, then I could could dual booth between Win 7 and 8, even if I only had an upgraded download, for Windows 8. Is this possible? Can someone suggest to me, how to do this, and not destroy my present OS? I have backups already made, for if I mess things up, but I really don't know enough, to know if this plan would work or not. Any help to understand this, is appreciated. Thank you.

Thanks
    You would have to have a full version of Win 8 to allow a dual boot scenario. Unfortunately, the prices have changed for Win 8. I suspect there will be other specials, but for now the prices are substantially higher than they were before Jan 31st. The Win 8 Full Install OEM edition (the so called system builder edition) is $140 at Newegg. I believe the OEM version is tied to the PC it will be installed on.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Your scenario would probably be technically feasible, but illegal.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If one does a custom install with the upgrade does it not allow the choice of partition to place Windows 8 on regardless of the location of Windows 7?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrading From Win7 to Win8

F.U.N. downtown
    If one does a custom install with the upgrade does it not allow the choice of partition to place Windows 8 on regardless of the location of Windows 7?
    YES

Rich

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.pagestart.com/win8esdtodvd11041201.html

How to turn the ESD folder (hidden and protected on the root) contents into a bootable Windows 8 disc.

If you did try it with a second copy of Windows 7, I would move that ESD folder over right afterwards as well and start it from there not from the long established installation.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-02-22 at 03:21.

Thanks
    But again, as Rui states, using the upgrade version to install in a dual boot scenario with an already installed version of Win 7 would not be legal. The full install version would be necessary to legally do that. The Upgrade version is just that, a version that is used to Upgrade from one OS to another OS replacing the first OS, whether with an upgrade installation or a custom (clean) installation. I realize most of the posters here know this, but for any reading this thread that do not, think about this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sure, but there's also the concept of the side by side installation until a person can get used to or learn to navigate and adjust to the new OS before clobbering a perfectly working old one; and if we take a look at the licensee of the older OS...yep, Microsoft too. It would be good enough for me if the user just promised to get rid of one or the other in say 90 days post installation or so.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As I may not have said, I don't want any part of doing something illegal. I'm no lawyer, so understanding things like that, are sometimes hard. I am almost 61, disabled, and bought my first desktop in Aug. 1994. I admit an addiction to my pc, and the web, and maybe since I'm disabled, but fully functional, I rely on my laptop, to open doorways that wouldn't exist without it. I appreciate all the inputs, but must admit, must admit I never heard of the process 'side by side installation' nor exactly what that means. My intention, is to learn just how the new Win 8 works, and once I do, don't mind getting rid of Win 7, or maybe keep Win 7 and dump Win 8. So, that would be no big deal. Any suggestions you all have, I'd be happy to look at them. Again, thank you all for your replies.
    Last edited by cestmoila21; 2013-02-23 at 09:17.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll admit, I don't want any part of doing anything illegal, regardless of who it's done against. If what I am trying to do is wrong, I'll accept that. At almost 61 years old, disabled by fully functional, and almost 19 years of computer use, I admit there is still lot's of things, I don't understand. A few months back when I bought this pc, Microsoft was offering a cheap price for Windows 8, so I kept that in mind, while I installed all the backups I had from my last computer. Poor excuse, I know, but UPGRADE did not jump up in my awareness. So, finding what I had bought would prevent me from making a dual booth with Win 7 and 8. So, that is why I decided to use this forum to try and find solutions. I thank you for your replies, and I hope they continue. But I'll admit the concept of the side by side installation, from F.U.N. downtime, is something I am not aware of or how ut can be done. From my first pc in Aug. 1994, to Windows 7, changes made in the new OS released, didn't present a need to relearn how to Windows, but 8 does. If there is a legal way to have both installed from what I now have, I could continue using Win 7 for my daily needs, and have Win 8 to learn on. Since Microsoft intends on using this type of OS, instead of what we all learned on, I need to learn it. Any more suggetions or advice, would be appreciated. Thank you.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Side by side means dual boot but with the intent of replicating programs and uses in the new OS until one is satisfied that it is compatible with peripherals and will be able to function just as good or better than the older OS before removing the older OS. You got the inexpensive upgrade price because you bought a PC so close to the release of Windows 8 (Windows 7 was a free upgrade in similar circumstances involving Vista and a new PC).
    To me it seems like you've been a loyal Microsoft customer since 1994 and deserve this break and more. Well Microsoft can't write license agreements with that in mind, they can only write them from an absolute basis that covers all situations, and that is often not the best thing for the average honest customer.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since your reply is still beyond my level of understanding, I regret, I tried googling 'side by side' to see if I found anything that would help me understand it. Instead I found that it uses WinSxS or SxS, mainly as a method to avoid DLL troubles. DLL, I know what that means. I also read it can be down, if it has a MANIFEST inside the program. Well, I stopped there. All this may be known to you all, but it isn't to me. With that, I must admit, I'll leave that alone. Having someone alongside you, explaining the process as you along, is crucial in my understanding. For me, that has never been a possibility, for various reasons. I've found, if I really, really desire to accomplish something that I must first understand it, before doing it. So, thank you so much for the tip, but I can't see that I'd try doing it. I may have no trouble, simply 'going blind' in trying to create a side by side computer, and possibly messing the whole pc up. Any more ideas out there? Thank you.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It's not really important to know about side by side. Its no different than dual booting in the overall picture.

Thanks
    Fun, I think your definition of side by side (Dual boot) is different from what cestmola21 is looking at (Windows sidexside which is Microsoft's cure for XP's dll hell).

Jerry

Thanks
    The discussion of side by side is just confusing in this case for the OP. The issue of legality is very real, although I also do not believe MS is going to come to this loyal user and cause him problems, they could. Unfortunately the time to have used a dual boot scenario for free (beta test period), or very cheaply (the low cost period prior to Jan. 31st) is past. The least expensive alternative I have found is the offer from Newegg for the full install.

If the OP had an old version of, say XP that could be installed in a dual boot with Win 7, then this could be used to qualify for the Win 8 upgrade the OP already has. If the OP has such an old OS, install this in a dual boot, then immediately Custom Install the Win 8 Upgrade.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

brino (2013-02-25)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast