Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Change in our lives

Just to let everyone know, my wife and I are purchasing a motor home. Before next winter (I'm getting really tired of the winters and taxes in New York State) we will be selling our home and moving to our "Home on Wheels" full time. Here are a couple of pictures of the new coach. We are presently working on the financing. Should be ours by mid March.

CountryCoachInterior.jpgCountryCoachMagna1.jpg

Before we set up house permanently in the coach I will be getting the WiFiRanger Mobile and most likely the WIFiRanger Go units to get reliable internet in the coach. This in combination with a tether using PdaNet 3.5 (for secure use like banking) should suit our needs quite nicely.

I might be able to use my present Linksys E4200 in place of the Go unit, but that unit is designed to work with the Mobile antenna/router quite nicely. The biggest challenge will be getting the cables from the Mobile into the coach. I do not want to make any holes in it. I should be able to do so without too much of a problem.

So perhaps we'll be able to visit some of our friends here as we travel from place to place. Don't be surprised if I knock on your door with my coffee mug extended, LOL
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Nice one Ted. Arizona will be the place to go. I've been everywhere there LOL.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Looks really good, Ted .

Thanks
    We are getting excited about the change. We plan to travel to a new place, then spend a month or more, possibly even several months, exploring before moving on. Many of the national and state parks have volunteer positions in exchange for a site, such as checking people in or as a guide, etc. This sounds like something we would really enjoy doing, and if we get tired of it, we simply move on.

We have been planning this for 2 or 3 years, and actively looking for possible coaches for over a year, when this coach became available. We are getting much more than we could possibly have afforded by going used rather than new.

We have visited Arizona in the past, although when on vacation you are always so rushed that you just cannot take the time to really visit. There is so much to see in this country, we do not wish to act like we're on vacation any more. We want to take our time and really enjoy ourselves. I'm sure RG will be able to give us some tips on this.

I find myself spending a LOT more time in the RV forums than here any more. Oh well such is life. Priorities change.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    If you're looking for a place with mild winters to settle down permanently, keep in mind that the gulf south area is nice. Just don't get too close to the gulf coast, or you'll have to deal with hurricanes every year.

Of course, with the rig you have pictured above, you and your entire residence could easily evacuate out of harm's way if a hurricane is approaching! In which case, I'd probably live right on the coast.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-02-22 at 13:49.

Thanks
    We do plan on visiting there. We are likely to change our domicile to either Florida or Texas. We do really want to actually SEE this country, not just pass through it. You all know how hectic things get when you are on vacation. I do not wish to continue that. We are going to take our time.

Yes, when bad weather is approaching, it is very possible to move out of it's direct path, assuming the warnings are heeded. Unfortunately, not all bad weather actually has warnings.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    You always get plenty of advance warning on hurricanes. And you would be the envy of all of your neighbors if you can move your entire residence out of harms way. That's really the only negative about living by the Gulf of Mexico -- if a hurricane passes by where you live, it can cause a lot of damage to your immovable property (i.e. your house).

And if you did evacuate, you wouldn't need to pay a hotel bill, because you would bring your house with you!

Man, the more I think about it, the more that sounds like a great way to live in the Gulf South!

Thanks
    We can travel and always sleep in our own bed and sit in our own chairs. This coach has a king sized sleep number bed.

We can cook our own food in our own home and still be away from "home". This is just a nice life for those doing it, but it's not for everyone.

One day we can be living in our house on the gulf coast, and a couple days later be living in our house in the Colorado Rockies, then a few days later be living in our house in Alaska.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Congratulations Ted. The coach is beautiful and it sounds like you have it all thought out. All the best in this endeavor!!!

Do think about Texas as a permanent domicile. I won't go in to the politics here but its not all bad. As we use to say in the Air Force, there is something good about every place. We are native Texans but lived away for many many years before answering the siren call to come home.

BJ

Thanks
    The biggest reason we are leaning toward Florida is because of the driver's license requirements for RVs over 26000 GVWR in Texas. As you can imagine our coach is well over. We still have not decided yet, and will not be rushed for that either. Ain't this fun!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Ted, you'll have fun.
    I did that many years ago with a smaller van camper and drove all over the country,,

I spent most of my time staying in rest areas and periodically stay in a camp ground for a few days to dump the tanks and then move on.

It was fun at the time.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    A lot depends on the personalities involved...in other words, it depends on the wife! Of course technology goes further than ever as far as keeping in touch with friends, but all things being equal, women will tire of the transitory in-person friendships and want something more substantial way before the average guy gets tired of the adventure. Always exceptions of course or we couldn't prove the rule; I knew one gal that made me look like a stick in the mud. Nice digs like the one you are getting sure help a lot too. Pickup truck and an old silver Streamline probably wouldn't make the cut.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-02-23 at 05:08.

Thanks
    I used to leave her in a rest area with a bunch of McDonald's Happy Meal Coupons and pick her up on my way back. Ha!

Thanks
    We have not developed lasting friendships here where we have lived for the last 16 years. We do not have the social friendships here, just work acquaintances. We did have those type of friendships in our home town, but those have waned over the pursuing years. We do not have a feeling of leaving this area, so for us this is just the next exciting adventure in our lives.

Our family is not here, and in fact this will give us more opportunities to visit family than we have now. One daughter and all our grandkids live in Memphis, Tn. approx. 1000 miles from here. Our other daughter is 6 hours away. No siblings for either of us here either. Just nothing holding us here.

You know Bany, I think I saw that in a movie. Perhaps one of those vacation movies with Chevy Chase. Very funny.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Yeah Ted, they will be thrilled with you just popping in on them...
    I remember once on TV a similar scenario and when they saw them coming they turned off the lights and pretended they weren't home..
    Keep mentioning your will and you will always be welcome.

I never saw that Chevy chase movie but I like all of his movies.

Those traveling days are over for me.
    I have been here a long time and with my shop and all it would be hard to give it all up to go traveling around again..

I remember one place in the south, I forget where, the rest areas had out houses instead of regular bathrooms..And I don't mean porta potties..

I'm sure you'll have fun..

Will your wife be able to share the driving?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast