New Lounger
    Thanks

How to ensure Windows 8 Firewall is active when using Norton Security

My Windows 8 apps will not update with the use of my 2012 Norton Internet Security suite. The Windows 8 app error message states Windows Firewall service must be active for any Windows 8 app installation or update. When opening Windows 8 Action Center, selecting "security", Network Firewall states Norton Security Suite is on. After selecting View Installed Firewall apps, the listing states Norton Security is on and Windows Firewall is off.

I am unable to have both Norton Security and Windows Firewalls on simultaneously. I am unable to find any assistance from either Norton or Microsoft. Has anyone any suggestions for enabling Windows Firewall service be made active. Inactivating Norton's firewall and activating Windows 8 firewall will NOT work either. Windows 8 apps will not install or update unless Windows Firewall is active.

Thanks in advance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The Windows firewall definitely does not need to be active to install Windows 8 apps. I run OnlineArmor for firewall and Windows Firewall is deactivated by OnlineArmor. I can install whatever apps I want without issues.

Are you getting an actual error message, when trying to install Windows 8 apps? Does it happen with all apps?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 apps not updating

My Windows Store icon states I have apps to update. When opening Stores, I selected install the apps. I receive this message, "Windows Firewall service is not running". I am aware of that. Norton Security Suite's firewall service is running.

I want to blame Norton Security for somehow not creating a Windows Firewall service "shadow" indicator for Windows Firewall service being active. Being a layman, those are my best terms to describe my issue.

Thank you for responding.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Did you manually change any Windows service startup options when you installed NIS?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Symantec's tech support just resolved my Windows 8 app / Windows Firewall issue. I have to say, their Norton remote access service was able to solve my issue in about 10 minutes. First off, my Windows Defender service needed activation. I do not recall inactivating it. I can only assume my Norton Security Suite activation did so. However, assumptions are not very wise. The Norton service also learned several Windows files were missing or corrupted. The technician did not name them.

My Norton Internet Security and Windows Defender service are active. Windows Defender service needs being active for Windows Firewall service to be active. I did not know this. I am not that tech savvy. Hopefully this thread will be useful assistance for others who may have Norton Security Service and Windows 8 app installation and updates issues.

The bottom line, one must have Windows Defender and Firewall service active in order for Windows 8 apps to install and update.

Thanks for your following up.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SFtex View Post

The bottom line, one must have Windows Defender and Firewall service active in order for Windows 8 apps to install and update.
    I am sorry, this is only half correct. The Windows Defender service can be disabled and it won't affect the windows 8 store. The Windows Firewall service needs to be running, even if the firewall itself may be off.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I stand corrected. Norton support activated Windows Defender prior to starting Windows firewall. However, I just reviewed my Windows Firewall Control Panel settings. It states these settings are managed by Norton 360. I do hope nothing changes these settings. It was most frustrating and challenging for ensuring both Windows 8 apps and Norton Security Suite would work together.

I do hope my Windows 8 apps continue to update as needed. So far they have.

Thanks
    @SFtex: Some reassurance: I am also using Norton Internet Security with Windows 8 (64-bit), and Apps are updated just fine and Windows Updates are installed just fine. I, too, have used Symantec's online technical support and found the personnel to be VERY professional.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Agreed. Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Norton Security Suite and Windows 8 apps were functioning well since Friday, Feb 22 until Monday, Feb 25. Without adding any software, my Windows 8 app updates will no longer update. I am uninstalling Norton Security Suite after having made 3 calls for Symantec's support. I no longer have any trust and patience with using Norton as it has only resulted in frustration and problems. After almost 3 hours of technical support assistance (the facts, no exaggeration), I am moving on.

I will turn on Window 8 Firewall and Defender until I find a more consistent and reliable security suite.