Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP sp3: Mouse freezes when using Firefox or Explorer

Subject: Mouse freezes in Firefox
    I have spent hours looking for a solution to my mouse freezing on me at times when I use Firefox or Explorer.. After 15-25 secs it unfreezes, restart does nothing. Win-XP,(sp-3) ASUS (NEW), changed USB inputs no change. I Notice Page file jumps to 500meg when freeze occurs, then resumes normal. I looked at dozens of solutions, none consistently solve the issue. I know, I am not alone with this issue..Microsoft and Mozilla offer nothing.... Nothing fancy on this machine... Office 2003, Adobe Reader, Outlook 2002 sp3, Google Chrome & Silverlight (can't figure out how they showed up),Viruscide - ESET NOD32,

Suggestions please

Thanks
    I think that there is extra activity going on at the moment of the freeze. The mouse freezes because system resources are being hogged by something. Then, when that activity stops, you once again have your mouse. The page file jump seems to confirm my theory.

Try running Task Manager, and click on the Performance tab. Leave it open when you are in Firefox. Then, when the mouse freezes, see if CPU and Memory usage have jumped way up. That will confirm whether or not my theory is correct.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-02-22 at 12:54.

Thanks
    How much memory doyou have installed? XP needs close to 1 gbyte to run efficiently else you will experience a lot of paging to disk.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ginovino View Post
    Subject: Mouse freezes in Firefox
    I have spent hours looking for a solution to my mouse freezing on me at times when I use Firefox or Explorer.. After 15-25 secs it unfreezes, restart does nothing. Win-XP,(sp-3) ASUS (NEW), changed USB inputs no change. I Notice Page file jumps to 500meg when freeze occurs, then resumes normal. I looked at dozens of solutions, none consistently solve the issue. I know, I am not alone with this issue..Microsoft and Mozilla offer nothing.... Nothing fancy on this machine... Office 2003, Adobe Reader, Outlook 2002 sp3, Google Chrome & Silverlight (can't figure out how they showed up),Viruscide - ESET NOD32,

Suggestions please
    Does this only happen while browsing on the internet?
    I have noticed similar behavior while browsing in IE10. So far it does not seem to be related to hardware, but websites, and it
    appears to be completely benign from what I can gather.
    This mouse behavior can be associated with some "not so friendly" websites.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Why do you need 3 browsers? What kind of mouse do you have? No other programs cause it? Uninstall Java then re-install it. Use Chrome to go there. Chrome installs its own Java.

Thanks
    Over the past 30 years, I've found many programs that I've had to put in the "Virus" column, because of the way they show up unannounced on one's PC. Chrome is the latest.
    Almost every day (that I'm running PC service calls) I'm taking Chrome off of people's PC's. They don't know what it is or where it came from. Get rid of it!

Never have two browsers running at the same time, unless you're running a Super Computer.

To run XP and several programs at the same time, 2 gig's of ram is the sweet spot. Sure XP will run with less, but you may see lock-ups and delays exactly like what you're complaining of.

Stopping all the stuff that likes to load on boot-up is the next step.
    Then:

Shorten the Boot Time in XP, Vista & Windows 7/8

Go to the start button, choose run, then type msconfig and press Ok.
    On the system configuration window, choose Boot tab.
    Check No Gui Boot, then lower the timeout to a more manageable time.
    I choose 3 seconds. (that's the shortest time Windows will allow)
    Next choose advanced options.
    This is where you can choose how many processors you have.
    Most modern PC's are duo core (2 processors) with some quad core (4 processors)
    then choose OK.
    Now choose apply and OK, reboot and you should see a marked decrease in boot time.

I know I could fix your problem, because that's what I do for a living. But I'd have to be there with all my
    tweaks and tune-up scripts, batch files, etc.

Run MSCONFIG, and de-select everything in the Startup list that you don't absolutely HAVE to have running at boot up.

After you've cleaned all the junk files out of your hard drive, you should run a Defrag on it. A clean and well organized HD runs much more efficiently.

good luck!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

bonalba (2013-04-25),brino (2013-02-25)

Thanks
    Next choose advanced options.
    This is where you can choose how many processors you have.
    Most modern PC's are duo core (2 processors) with some quad core (4 processors)
    then choose OK.
    Although it won't hurt, this will do nothing to reduce boot time. See http://www.withinwindows.com/2008/08...with-msconfig/

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok here is what I found.... my machine has a AMD Athlon 2 x2 250 board with 3.2GB of Ram. Total paging memory is 3.3 gb.

When I open Internet Explorer, it uses 78mb..... When I open Firefox it jumps to 103mb !!!!! Sometimes more. I removed all reference to Google Chrome. So now I just have Explorer 8 and Firefox 13.0...... When I removed Chrome.... things picked up a bit.... but it still hangs more than I'd like it too.........More so in Firefox , than Explorer...... and Yes it only happens when I am surfing the net ( or so it seems). Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Again, it sounds like you need more memory.

Jerry

Thanks
    You should have more than enough memory for Windows XP. Increase you PF size to 4-6GB, or Windows recommended.
    Try going to the control panel and removing some memory intensive applications.
    The event viewer should also be queried for errors and issues. You can start by lining up time stamps for when the freezing starts.
    In the end sometimes XP just needs a CLEAN start, as in clean installation.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-02-26 at 22:02.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, definitely something more than memory swap going on, I presume you've disabled any realtime virus scanning that might be inspecting every packet downloaded?
    Even if there was some swapping, normally it would only be a slight hesitation when browsing. I only have 1.5 gig and I'm rendering AND converting video, and surfing is as smooth as can be using Firefox; six or seven tabs open at least all the time.

Thanks
    Sorry. I missed that you have 3gbytes of memory, more than enough for XP.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Download and install "What's My Computer Doing", and have it running in the background. Immediately the mouse frees up, open the WMCD window and click the Freeze button. It might take a few tries, but with any luck you will see whatever it was that was hogging resources. Download from http://www.itsth.com/en/produkte/Whats-my-computer-doing.php?fromwmcd .

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gee guys, you are all staring the problem in the face and not seeing it. Ginovino, you are running Internet Explorer and Firefox simultaneously and that is your problem. I don't understand why you would want two browsers open at the same time. If you want to open more than one webpage at a time, use your tabs and last but not least, junk Internet Explorer and stick with Firefox or Chrome.

Thanks
    Having two browsers aren't a big deal in terms of resources, even having them open at the same time wouldn't have the effect the OP is relating.
    The only way one is going to experience difficulty is if both browsers are open and running many many tabs at once with each browser.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast