New Lounger
    Thanks

a long story of disappearing drive, in short: help needed!

hi everyone,

Recently built a new machine with Win7. The case had a front door for SD Card Reader, which inside shares the same circuit with hd audio-headphones/usb ports/etc.

On the first day i used a the card reader door, but then, i started to add different USB devices, mainly external drives but also a few other (mouse, camera, lcd calibrator, keyboard, etc) all of them on the back door of the case. As it only had 6 ports (USB 2.0 and 3.0) i also fitted and extra PCI with 6 more ports. The card reader drive (E suddenly disappeared. And never appeared again! Until i made a chkdsk on a drive that was assigned to that letter (see image 1).

As the drive was being used chkdsk had to dismount that volume. And suddlenly the card reader reappeared (for a few seconds until chkdsk finished) (see image 2)

When chkdsk finished it dispappeared and everything went back to image 1. Seeing this for a brief moment made me think that not all was lost. Behing this drive was a recognizable device, although not available.

The USB section fo device manager looks like thgis (no yellows anywhere else)

When i backed up all the drivers (using double driver) this was the list

and finally i had this list of usbdevices

What did i try until this moment?

a) assigned a different drive letter to let E: be available for the SD Card Reader.
    b) pulled out all the USB Devices and inserted the card.
    c) uninstalled almost all USB devices listed on device manager (the ones who had microsoft drivers) although i backed the other ones i dind't unistall them all, because i really don't know which is the device that commands the card reader. it seems to be some generic device. at my laptop the card reader has a specific name, but not here.
    d) i'm running out of ideas (that's why i came here...) and already spent too much time with this minor problem. i always can use a external usb card reader but if it's built in and it seems to be there, why not try to put everything in place?

many thanks and a very nice weekend!

Thanks
    What does Computer Management > Disk Management look like? You may be running out of drive letters. Since the card reader is not a removable drive, assigning it a drive letter is a reasonable option.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    this is what it looks like. no shortage of drive letters.

an interesting point is that if i connected an external usb card reader through usb (whose door is next to the sd card reader door) it assumed drive e:. in the meanwhile i changed that drive to s:. close, but no cigar.

Thanks
    Try the steps listed here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900

I suspect method 3 may do the trick but try the others first.

Jerry

Thanks
    Unplug any external USB devices, open an administrator level command prompt, type "diskpart" without the quotes and hit enter. When you get a DISKPART> command prompt, type "list disk" without the quotes and hit enter.

Your card reader should show up under your hard drive(s) under "Disk ###", with "No Media" under "Status" (hard drive(s) "Status" will be "Online"). Post a screen shot here.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks jerry and bbearren.

1st tried bb sugestion (easier...) here's the screen:

as to jerry's tip i'm gonna do it now. already did that with a small number of those usb devices but not all. i'll report back in a moment.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    well, step three of jerry's (microsoft) sugestion indeed provoked some reaction. the E: drive assigned to the card reader reappeared only to be again of no availabilty as soon as i started to had usb devices. considering the time and effort already spent to solve this small annoyance and the fact that i have an external usb card reader at hand, made me put an end to this (sad) story and give up on this problem.

thanks for your considerate help.

Thanks
    Here's a thought FWIW. Using the procedure to uninstall all USB devices and reboot, when the card reader is recognized, and before you add anything else, you can go to Computer Management > Disk Management and change the drive letter of the card reader to either A or B.

These drive letters used to be reserved for floppy drives in previous versions of Windows, and couldn't easily be assigned to anything else. With Windows 7, however, each is just another drive letter, with the exception that, by default, Windows 7 won't assign them.

You can. Just right-click on the card reader, select Change drive letter or paths, and select A or B from the pull down menu on the upper right of the dialog box. Then as you add devices, the card reader drive letter shouldn't change or disappear.

Oh, and always remember to right-click and eject the card, so that Windows will properly clear the USB port.

Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Go to folder options>view in control panel. If "hide empty drives in my computer" is checked that might be your problem. The card reader would only show up when a card is present.

Rich

New Lounger
    Thanks
    sadly, i was too happy seeing the card to remember changing the drive letter before it got awol again. now, it will have to wait for my patience to come back and unplug and uninstall all usb devices again.

thks for your help.