New Lounger
    Thanks

Want older version of PhotoGallery

I have just updated from Vista to Windows 7, and now PhotoGallery will not work. I suspect my video card might be too old for Windows Live Essentials 2011 or 2012 - whereas the Vista version was superb - because when I open PhotoGallery I get a totally blank window which pops up blank message boxes when I try to close it!

So: from where can I obtain an earlier version of Photo Gallery, e.g. the one that was operative under Vista? (I do have the XP version, which works, but the Vista version had additional features I liked and used.)

I guess I might also have to prevent Windows Update from updating Photo Gallery, that correct?

Thanks,
    Peter Sands,
    Taroona,
    Australia

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Peter,

Here, mate, this will give you what you need,
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w.../photo-gallery
    OR
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ry-get-started

The 1st is for Windows 7 and the 2nd is Vista. Both here for your consideration. I suggest there are, likely, more features & tools in the Win7 version.

And, no, do not block updates from WU.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2013-02-23 at 03:32.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you check the about Photo Gallery info to see which version you have (2011 or 2012)? 2011 should work no matter the video card but 2012 might not if it doesn't support some components of DirectX 10. The wlsetup executable picks the version that is compatible with your system and if Windows 7 is present it won't go back to the 2009 version. You might try uninstalling Photo Gallery and reinstalling, also try the Windows 7 basic or classic theme and see if the PG windows display content then.

Live Essentials were designed to be Win OS-agnostic so WL Essentials 2009 covered XP, Vista and 7 until 2011 came out, which no longer supported XP. If you have the XP version (2009) 14.0.8117.416, I think that's as far as it goes and anything after that was rolled into 2011 and beyond, further updating any intermediate version that may have been the one you were using for a while with Vista.

Edit: The links Drew presented lead to the same prompt to download and run the wlsetup.exe file, which in turn is the tool used to determine the appropriate version for your system, which you already went through, so it will detect its already installed and most likely prompt you with some message to that effect, unless you uninstall components or the entire Essentials suite prior to that action.
    I haven't really ever seriously used Photo Gallery since I think any number of other programs are more effective, like XnView, FastStone, Irfanview and even Picasa. However, I haven't checked out what online integration features PG may have now and that could be of some definite use and advantage if say, it worked well with SkyDrive.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-02-23 at 03:44.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Drew, but that link installs Essentials 2012 ...which gives me the problems I'm trying to solve.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Ok, well, I tried, eh?

Check out the suggested Irfanview http://www.irfanview.com/

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Hi Peter,

the only way to get LPG is to uninstall all Windows Live and use this. wlsetup-web.zip
    It will offer 2010 version of Windows Live Essentials and will work from XP - Win7. I know zilch about Win8.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,

Yes, that works fine, but gives me PhotoGallery 2009, which I use on my XP laptop. My Vista setup had a version of PhotoGallery with the ribbon interface. It had a few improvements over 2009 which I rather liked. But I can certainly live with the 2009 version.

Re IrfanView, Picasa and others... I have tried these in the past and found the best protocol for me was to use PhotoGallery for tagging my photos, and occasionally for creating panoramas and the PhotoFuse feature in the 2010 version. For editing I routinely use, and highly recommend, FastStone Image Viewer, or PhotoShop Elements for more heavy duty editing.

Thanks,
    Peter

Banned Member
    Thanks
    1 of the links I gave you was under Vista. Does that not to it for you either?

Cheers,
    Drew

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you actually seen 2011 working somewhere? Maybe that's your missing version if all you see so far is blank windows. I don't believe there was a 2010 version.

Thanks
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear All,

Thanks folks ... eventually got it!

One of the filehippo sites worked for me (http://www.filehippo.com/download_wi...ive_mail/8451/). I'd tried other WL2011 downloads before writing to the Lounge, and they all pointed to Microsoft sites which downloaded 2012.

Drew, I can't remember now exactly what happened with your Vista link, but I'm pretty sure it too pointed back to Microsoft's 2011 download.

Go well,
    Peter

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Good day everyone, I am new here and I have been looking for the first version of Photo gallery because it is very practical as a Viewer, it came as a default in my old Vista computer,this is what I am talking about
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1
    with one click and you have the info and Exif (the info of a photo) thank you

Thanks
    There are several web sites that include older versions of software

Old Versions

Old Apps

Make use of
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi Peter,

the only way to get LPG is to uninstall all Windows Live and use this. wlsetup-web.zip
    It will offer 2010 version of Windows Live Essentials and will work from XP - Win7. I know zilch about Win8.
    Thanks Roderunner,

That worked perfectly for me.