Observation About Text to Columns Wizard

Consider the following.

41 <Reference Include="DataEase">
    44 <Reference Include="System" />
    45 <Reference Include="System.Data" />
    46 <Reference Include="System.Xml" />
    47 <Reference Include="WizardWrx.ApplicationHelpers">
    50 <Reference Include="WizardWrx.ConsoleAppAids">
    53 <Reference Include="WizardWrx.SharedUtl2, Version=2.69.212.31430, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=17d2d8ea40c2dbbc, processorArchitecture=MSIL">
    57 <Reference Include="WizardWrx.SharedUtl4">
    If I paste the above text into a worksheet (Excel 2010, SP 1), nvoke the Text to Columns tool, and select Fixed, the wizard draws a divider in the white space between the numbers, which are line numbers, and the text, which is the content of the line whose number is shown to its left. After moving the the line flush with the number and inserting another divider between theequal sign and the quotation mark, I advanced to the next section, where I told Excel to treat the first column as General, skip the second, and import the third as Text.

As I worked further with the text, I discovered that the text that came from line 53 was truncated at the comma following the version number. I performed a series of similar imports from other files into the same worksheet, and observed the same behavior. It seems that anything that contains one or two lines that are substantially longer than the rest is split at every comma, unless you remember to scroll right and delete the extra split markers.

Take-Away

If you split text as fixed width columns, it pays to scroll to the right, and check for extra column separators. The same caution applies to importing data by way of the Get External Data tool, also on the Data ribbon.
    David Gray, Chief Wizard
    WizardWrx
    Irving, Texas, USA

WizardWrx Web - Technical Articles and Free Software
    You are more important than any technology we may employ.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    IMHO, this is SPAM albeit dressed up as an Excel matter.

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/faq...on#advertising

Thanks
    Reviewed TXwizard's posts and this seems to be an isolated instance. Even though he is "Chief Wizard" of WizardWrx (What ever that may be), he may have made a less than optimal choice in the sample data to convey the point he wished to make. I agree, it does sound like SPAM, however, he seems sincere, obviously knowlegable, and he has helped others in previous posts, so I think he deserves a break this time.
    Just my opinion,
    Maud
    Last edited by Maudibe; 2013-02-25 at 00:10.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fair comment, I may have been over-sensitive.