5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using disposable email address against spam?

I use Yahoo email and I'm getting about 3-5 spam emails a day
    I see that Yahoo offers Mail Plus and that I could use a disposable email address but if I create a disposable email address, how does that stop those spammers from using my primary email address if I'm already on their lists?

I believe the spam emails have increased because of some of the following information
    --- This past year I have helped 3 friends deal with emails sent from their accounts without their knowledge (On one of them, I had to block her email address because she didn't tackle the issue right away)
    --- Anyway I have told them to note that when I send email to multiple contacts I use undisclosed recipients & bcc many times and it appears to me it was very helpful in the beginning
    --- However I have too many friends including my 3 friends I referred to who send out and/or forward many messages with umpteen email addresses clearly visible
    --- Unfortunately I can't help that but I'm looking for a way to filter (preferably block) unwanted emails

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    The disposable addresses only prevent future issues, not current ones.

As to the spam filter, I suppose what to use depends on what you use as a client. Yahoo has its own filter, just help it by marking spam as spam.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks ruirib. My spam filtering works fine so I'm going to keep it as is right now
    --- I have been emptying the spam folder manually on a daily basis
    --- I might try a disposable address sooner or later

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suggest getting MailWasher, which will allow you to delete spam from your ISP's server, before it ever reaches your PC. It supports filtering, and if you want you can cause known spam to be automatically deleted before you even see it. Get it from http://www.firetrust.com/products/mailwasher-pro/6/download .

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can try Mailinator.com

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using disposable e-mail address against spam?

I would agree about using Mailwasher - but why not try the free version (cut-down to 1 account) before buying the Pro version? Mind you, the Pro version gives you other goodies as well.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    they do not help except as a way to give a throwaway address to people that insist on an email but you dont want to hear from

mailinator.com and others have instant disposable ones

i actually like hotmail
    you can sort of white/black/gray list people
    so only good email comes to the inbox
    you do have to scan the junk box in case you do get email you want and have it go directly to inbox
    and you can permanently block persistent abusers but most spammers keep changing the from address

other programs offer the white/black/maybegray too capability
    much easier than having throwaways that you have to check
    and if you never check them then you only need one permanent one

Thanks
    cmptrgy,
    Microsoft is heavily advertising their newish outlook.com site; in an effort to remain somewhat significant when compared with gmail.
    One of outlook.com benefits is to be able to create aliases (2/year) for spam protection.
    outlook.com also makes importing contacts (and such) from gmail/yahoo/etc fairly simple and it may assist you in controlling spam for your future needs.
    Personally speaking, I prefer to use my fastmail account for spam protection but fastmail is not really FREE any longer >> since being bought out by Opera browser.
    Cheers!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using Yahoo! Mail Plus (http://mailplus.mail.yahoo.com/) for a few years and find it to be a great service. The primary e-mail address I use only with friends and family. Otherwise, every website, newsletter, etc. that I use gets assigned a unique e-mail address. Good for security, too, since it makes it harder to break into an account when every e-mail address is different.

Recently a few friends and relatives had their Gmail accounts hacked and my primary e-mail address was released from their accounts into the wild, so I started getting some spam. Marking spam as such is, of course, a good way to stop it, since Yahoo! will then "learn" to automatically route future similar e-mails to the spam folder. For spam that still gets through, opening it sends a signal to the sender that your e-mail address is valid and live, so more spam will be the result. I've found that just deleting that spam without opening it will create the impression to the sender that the e-mail address is invalid and dead, so the amount of spam will diminish to almost nothing in a couple weeks.

Thanks

Gmail and Aliasing

I have had a Gmail account from the early days when it was strictly on 'invite' basis.
    I just recently found out via http://www.davescomputertips.com that Gmail allows for aliasing of that email account; in a way that I was not aware of and is worth reflecting here.
    Let us say, for example, that my Gmail address was 4sum12spam@gmail.com and I was forced to register to some website (let us call this site tubular.com) to purchase an item but I knew that I would never visit that site again: During the registration process, I would create an alias 4sum12spam+tubular@gmail.com, and once I was finished with the confirmation process, I could easily filter that alias out of Gmail.com and prevent any potential for future spams. Or monitor that alias to see how it gets spawned and used by other spammers!
    It is a pretty good trick to remember for the future!