Lounger
    Thanks

Digital Notice Boards

Hi All,
    I have been asked to investigate how to setup and run a "Digital Notice Board".
    I am thinking that I should be able to have one master computer that holds the relevant files/photos that will be displayed on all the screens, but I do not know how to setup the system to send output to multiple screens that are spread around the factory.
    Has anyone got any suggestions for me on how I can go about achieving this?
    Oh and some of the locations do not have a network connection available, but wireless networking signals are available, so if that can be used, it would be great.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Brian.

Thanks
    I would investigate the workability of setting up an intranet, and then make the info available via a web browser. In that way, all workstations can simply bring up the web page and see all of the info.

Wireless vs wired is simply the way a given workstation gets connected to the network. It makes no difference which way they connect, as long as they are connected in some way. Once they are connected, they should have no problem browsing the web pages you have set up.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Is there a server available?

Do you want to push the notifications or will the users be responsible for refreshing or checking?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks people.
    Did not want to really go down the paths suggested as each display point would involve the use of a PC or something along those lines. I would prefer to have the ability to just put a screen in place at the desired locations.
    Would have thought that being able to send an image to multiple screens would be a reasonably simple thing to achieve, after all, walk into any appliance store and you will see banks of TV screens all showing the same output.
    Obviously TVs are a different situation compared to a computer screen output but it is a similar concept.
    Regards
    Brian.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It is similar but please answer the questions in post #3. In any event, you have to have some device acting as a server whether it is an actual server or not.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoby View Post
    Obviously TVs are a different situation compared to a computer screen output but it is a similar concept.
    In your scenario, the big-screen TVs are simply the monitors used to view the info, just like on a computer, except that you won't have a mouse and keyboard attached. It's almost the same as that.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes a suitable server is available to use for this project.
    I was thinking a simplistic solution would be for display items to be scanned as a jpg or tiff file from our multifunction copiers/scanners into a nominated folder.
    I would then set a 'screen saver' to display all images within the nominated folder.
    Trying to get away with not requiring too much hardware at each display location.
    Telstra (Australia) offer a digital noticeboard solution, but each display panel requires a media pc and at $8000 + ongoing operational costs of $110 per month it is rather a steep price, I would rather spend $500~$600 on a dirt cheap pc than pay that amount, especially as it is desired to have 6 to 10 display points around the factory/lunchrooms...
    I have a neat little device that allows remote transmission of a VGA signal over Cat 5 network cabling, but the problem I realised was that each screen would need a monitors output on a pc to drive it. I was then thinking of playing with a wireless bridge device to allow non-cabled locations to be selected, but how would I send the signal over the network to the receiver? ahhhgggg... who would have thought this was going to be so hard, it's not like I am trying to do something that has not been done a thousand times before!
    Thanks
    Brian.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I was trying to do something similar and decided to build my own solution, it is a lower power consumption and low cost wifi/ethernet/3g device that you plug into any monitor/tv, it is cheaper to do that than run splitters and cables I found, and you have much more flexibility afterwards, you could also split it though. It is controlled by web interface. If you are still interested in doing this for your factory PM me.
    TC

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Brian,

How many monitors do you want to connect, and what is the distance the signal has to travel?

For a few monitors and a short distance it may work using a vga video splitter and vga over IP LAN adapters. This would work with plain PC Monitors, but may require extra wiring at each monitor.

For more monitors and longer distances, it would be best to convert the signal to a "channel 3" broadcast signal and run through a small amplifier and Cable TV wiring. The TV's would be a bit more expensive, but don't require adapters to connect.

Just need a stand-alone PC to provide the data.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMac56 View Post
    For more monitors and longer distances, it would be best to convert the signal to a "channel 3" broadcast signal and run through a small amplifier and Cable TV wiring. The TV's would be a bit more expensive, but don't require adapters to connect.
    This will work if the TVs can receive analog. New TVs will only receive digital.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting, there are a number of TV's now without analog inputs, but they still are out there.