New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Windows freezing

Just received an HP Pavilion p6-2316s Desktop with windows 8 as a gift. I am having trouble with it constantly freezing. Have had it to the shop and it works again. When it freezes it shows Preparing/Installing automatic repair. The little dots go round and round but nothing every happens. I let it run one day for 4 1/2 hours and finally turned it off and took it back to the computer guy. I have not installed anything else except McAfee. I don't know if I like windows 8 or not as I have not had any time to play with it. Does anyone else have or had this problem? My tech person said to try calling HP to see if they have had any problems but thought i would ask on this forum before I did that.

Thanks
    Last edited by Marg; 2013-02-25 at 13:34. Reason: wrong word

Thanks
    If you have, or can create, the original factory rebuild DVDs, I'd use them to restore it to factory specs. My guess is that that will fix it, because it sounds like something is corrupted in Windows.

If that doesn't fix the problem, then there has to be a hardware problem, in which case I'd call HP if the PC is under warranty.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marg View Post
    I have not installed anything else except McAfee.
    McAfee what, and which version? Didn't that PC come with Norton Internet Security 2013 already installed?: HP Pavilion p6-2316s Desktop PC Product Specifications

Bruce

Thanks
    I would definitely uninstall McAfee. You could try the Refresh your PC. Understand that any app you installed on the desktop will be uninstalled during the Refresh and would have to be reinstalled.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    If Bruce is correct and you didn't uninstall Norton before installing McAffe, you have two real time AV apps running- a real no no. Pick one and uninstall the other.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought Microsoft Security Essentials made McAffe and Norton redundant anyway?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alibongo View Post
    I thought Microsoft Security Essentials made McAffe and Norton redundant anyway?
    The Windows 8 builtin security software is enough for most people. To avoid any anti-trust issues Microsoft does not preclude third party security software. Many OEMs have deals with security vendors to install third party products.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As I understand it, the built-in security software in Windows 8 is called Windows Defender, and this includes all the functionality of what is called Microsoft Security Essentials in Windows 7. You definitely only want one real-time protection system operative but it's a good idea to regularly manually run scans with the freeware version of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware as an additional safeguard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Defender
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microso...ity_Essentials
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware...7_Anti-Malware
    http://www.malwarebytes.org

New Lounger
    Thanks

Event viewer

Does no-one use the windows event viewer and diagnostics new utils these days?

Its the first place you should look to tie down app and system events which may provide a clue to the problem.

Freezing can usually be attributed to duff memory , faulty psu , underpowered graphics card or other PCI devices if its not the O.S.
    Last edited by omendata; 2013-03-02 at 18:47.