Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are there any known issues with Windows 8 and Programs (x86) software

Hi,

I am working with someone in Canada who has just purchased new computer running W8.

I am located in Australia and use Windows 7.

We both need to use a software program that uses Australian/British spell checkers.

The software program (MPWord6) is working well on my computer and was working on Canadian person's computer until the trial period ended.

She has now purchased licence for the software but it continue to show "You have 0 days left of your trial". She is unable to use the program.

Is there anything in Windows 8 that might create trial period issues with pre-Windows 8 type software?

The MPWord software also has a ssce.ini file that lists which standard and medical dictionaries are used and where they are located.

As MPWord is a USA program I have had to provide British/Australian dictionaries to replace those the program comes with.

Everything is working fine on my Win7 computer with these in place.

Before the Canadian person purchased her licence for MPWord (ie she was still in trial period) even words like "the" were coming up as unknown.

Feels like a ball of wool at the moment - she cannot use MPWord as it is showing "0 days left in trial) even though she has purchased licence and installed it correctly.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

P.S. MPWord support have accessed Canadian person's Win 8 computer and confirmed everything seems be installed correctly. Other than System Restore - can anyone suggest anything.

Thanks
    Has she tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the software? If it worked OK during the trial period, it isn't likely a Windows 8 issue.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi there and thank you for reply,

No, the program did not access the special medical dictionaries (British/Australian) that replaced the American ones that came with the program.

These special medical dictionaries are also used on my computer, the same MPWord software. I also had to replace the American versions that came with MPWord.

During out testing of this (i.e. the medical dictionaries and why they were not working - even words like "the" were not recognised) her trial period expired.

She then purchased her licence and followed instructions of where to copy the licence key.

The MPWord support person checked this by accessing Canadian person's computer remotely and confirmed everything was where it should be.

When she tries to start MPWord it still says "you have 0 days left in your trial period". Now she cannot use this program until the issue is sorted, so we can go back to testing why her medical dictionaries are not working.

A tangled web at present confounded by the fact that she has both Windows 8 which is new to her and MPWord also new to her.

Thanks
    I suggest that she uninstall the software, then reboot, and reinstall the software, using the license key during the install or immediately thereafter.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I agree. It sounds as though something in the app was corrupted during the trial period. Have you looked at the web sire of the app to see if it shows as compatible with Win 8? There is a Forum available on their web site which may be of help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy