Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy FTP Server Noobie in Trouble

At one point, I had a Windows Server 2003 set up as the domain controller. I also had a ftp server setup (user/password type logon). An application that we have allows some reporting to be output to a CSV file on that server via ftp. Doesn't look like anyone has used that feature in a long time.

The FTP server still appear to be active and running on that 2003 server.

Since then, I added a Windows Server 2008 domain controller (and a 2nd one for backup)...and took the Windows Server 2003 off as a DC. It is still there and still being used, but not for a DC.

Now, when I try to run the application and route the file to the 2003 server, it tells me that the user can't logon. Have verified the user/pass combination. If I try to logon to that server from my PC using that same logon, it also says it can't logon...if I make sure it is specifying the domain at logon, it says "To log on to this remote computer, you must be granted the Allow log on through Terminal Services right. By default, members of the Remote Desktop users group have this right......if not, you must be granted this right manually.

Now, I can logon to the DC with the FTP user just fine. Is that what I need to do? And then how will the FTP work over on the 2003 server. Do I have to move the FTP server to the DC? Somehow, I have broken this, and I'm not clear how is should be fixed.

I would prefer that the FTP continue to go through the old 2003 server if at all possible. The user is a member of Domain Users and Remote Desktop Users and Terminal Server Computers. But that user can't logon to the 2003 server anymore, apparently.

I was looking at adding a local user on the 2003 server with that same name, but there no longer appears to be any way to add local users to that server.

So, I am confused. Would appreciate some insights.

Lounger
    Thanks
    When the 2003 Server was the domain controller, the ftp user would naturally log on to that server and work correctly.

Now that the server is no longer a DC, the only logons that work are local Admin and domain Admin. Otherwise, the server is being accessed via shares.

As I mentioned, I can logon to the DC with the ftp user and an additonal one that I just added for test purposes. There is another newer server (2008) that many people here are using for remote desktop logon for an application. But the old and new ftp users cannot logon to that server either, claiming that they lack remote desktop capability, even though they are both members of the Remote Desktop Users group.

I am also reading that I should avoid putting IIS/FTP on the DC, which is OK with me.

Would deleting IIS/FTP from the old server and adding it to the newer non-DC server fix this, do you think?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You do not need to be able to logon to the server to use FTP. FTP access is controlled through IIS and permissions are set there.

Are you using an FTP client to test the connection? YOu can type "ftp" at a command prompt and test from there, or run something like Filezilla.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    The FTP is working fine...just couldn't get there because the configured user didn't have access to that server. Corrected that by adding the user to the local remote desktop users group and now it works great. Also solved another problem on a different server...added domain users group to local remote desktop users group to give all domain users accesss to this "other" server. Found that tip in Google. So, this is all solved. Thanks for the reply.