New Lounger
    Thanks

Line Weight in Excel Charts

Hello...

How can I set the default line weight to "xlHairline" for a chart of up to 50 series being plotted with a line joining each value in a particular series.

Right now I am using Office 2010 and the line weight is shows as "xlThick" which hides other lines overlapping. and makes the plot unusable.

Thanks for your help.

FiL

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Maud...

I had already tried the the approach you suggest, but it does not work once you start to "play around" with the Series Data. Like, I might start off with 50-series plot and later want to look at only four at a time to see how they compare.

I see that there is a HIDDEN table of DEFAULTS which needs to be dug out and then the line weight can be adjusted once and for all. Somehow.... the programmers decided it for themselves that the "millions" of users will be happy with what they selected as the default and did not allow those defaults to be accessed and changed. Or, they simply "forgot".

For now, I can only see "xlHairline" in xlBorderWeight. But I need the actual line plot and not the Border to be changed...

Thanks again...

FiL

Thanks
    You cannot change the defaults but you can run a simple macro to make all series lines thin:
    Code:
    Sub allSeriesThin()
        Dim ser As Series
        For Each ser In ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Chart.SeriesCollection
            ser.Border.Weight = xlThin
        Next ser
    End Sub
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You cannot change the defaults...
    This is just an example of a Crap design.

Thanks Rory, I will need to work out how to apply the code you have provided to my situation...

I have thousands of graph plots to examine each day and I just want something that I can set up and forget completely rather than have to apply a tweek to the plots each and every instant there is a change in the series data... or a new graph plot is created to over lay the previous ones.

Regards...

FiL