Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrading from Access 2002 (XP) to Access 2013

I'm having difficulty deciphering the proper method of getting my Access 2002 databases that are protected by workgroup level security to open in Access 2013.

Databases that are not protected by workgroup level security open OK but the protected ones don't open.

I get the following error messages:

Cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application

or

You do not have the necessary permissions to use the datase (database name) object. Have your system administrator ...establish the approporaite permissions for you.
    The second message is the message we receive when we have a new install of Office XP when Access is first opened - we simply join the workgroup and all is OK after that - I don't see that option in Access 2013.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

John

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried running the Workgroup Administrator command in VBA to configure the default security file? Another option is to use the command line switches to start Access 2013 and specify the correct .mdw file that way.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Further Investigations

Here's some more info regarding this situation:

1. Using the command line switch (/WRKGRP and specifying the .mdw file we use) and attempting to open an Access 2002 database I get error "Cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application"
    2. Opening Access 2013 without the command line switch and attempting to open an unsecured Access 2002 database I am able to use the dtabase and all its capabilites (VBA Code included)
    3. Opening Access 2013 without the command line switch and attempting to open the data portion of a secured Access 2002 database, I am able to open the DB but I get the error message that I do not have permissions to view or read the object (table, query, etc.). However, I am able to create new tables in that DB
    4. Opening Access 2013 without the command line switch and attempting to open the code portion of a secured Access 2002 database, I get the error message that I do not have permissions to use the object. This is the same error we receive when we have a new install of Office XP when Access is first opened - we simply join the workgroup and all is OK after that - I don't see that option in Access 2013.
    5. Opening Access 2013 without the command line switch I am able to create a new DB with VBA code, save it as an Access 2002 version and it opens in Access 2002 (once I add the reference library to the 2002 instance).
    6. Using the command line switch (/WRKGRP and specifying the .mdw file we use) and attempting to open the Access 2002 database metioned in 5 above, I get the error "Cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application"

Finally, I do not understand your suggestion regading VBA

Hope this provides some more information for you to help me.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm not having much luck finding anything that indicates whether or not the Access User Security feature is still supported in 2013, but I have a vague recollection of a discussion about it during a presentation on 2013 last year. Testing it on the one PC where I currently have 2013 installed it appears to work just fine. I am able to open a 2000 format .mdb file with no problems, and the Access User Security features are still there on the File tab of the ribbon.

This How to use the Workgroup Administrator utility in Access 2007 describes how to invoke the Workgroup Administrator function in the VBA editor, and it still works in 2013.

One possibility comes to mind - is it possible that your .mdb file is still in Access 97 format? I ran into that issue on a recent project, and the behavior you are seeing sounds like what I was seeing.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wendell,

I was able to get the databases to open in Access 2013 by doing the following:
    1. Make a copy of the secured db (or databases if you are using a code front end and a data back end)
    2. Go into Security/User and Group Permissions and change the Users Group so that it has access to everything in the database
    3. Exit the database
    4. Change the Workgroup Administrator the the generic Access workgroup (System.MDW)
    5. Restarting Access will not require a login and the new database(s) will open with no need to login

Opening the database in Access 2013 will now work. Then you have to change the linking if necessary and any VB references to folders, files, etc.

Seems to be working fine.

Now, of course, I've got to figure out how to reapply security. Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    John, it actually sounds as if your database wasn't completely secured or you wouldn't be able to get into a copy of the database. Is it possible that your .mdw file you are using is an older format that was used in Access 2 and 95? The puzzling thing is the message about not being compatible with 2013. In any event, you should be able to re-secure the database by adding the restrictions that were in place, and then removing the permissions for the group Users.

If you are at a stage where you might consider doing a redesign of your application, you may want to develop your own security scheme, as it's not clear how much longer support for the .mdb Access User Security feature will be around. The newer .accdb format introduced in 2007 does not support the feature, and as you've discovered, the feature can be a support nightmare when upgrades occur or things go corrupt. We've begun to use the Windows login information as an alternative, although it involves lots more coding. However, we still have a number of apps that depend on User Security to limit access to various areas of the system, so it's not a slam dunk.
    Wendell

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WendellB For This Useful Post:

Rx_ (2013-03-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks you for sharing the Access 2013 Experience. Even after attending the Microsoft Developer presentation at the Denver Area Access Users Group, there are a lot more questions than answers. They demonstrated a Win7 Enterprise that supported some type of VM to run SQL Server and Access (plus the web presentation layer) on one portable.

It was my understanding that many standard Access features will be dropped to support the Web deployment.
    Returning to the System MDW was a good move. It is probably worth evaluating the migration to SQL Server. The MS SQL Server Migration Assistant to MS Access is my favorate (and free tool) to manage new Access developments using local tables - with deployment in SQL Server.

My current Access 2010 with SQL Server back-end is deployed via Citrix to both PC / Apple platforms. It is used nationally over very small bandwidth.

Please be encouraged to share your Access experience. The jury is out as to if it will support the last two decades of Microsoft developments.
    I would agree with WindellB. I use to use the MS Access security, but have since moved to Windows security.
    Using Citrix (or terminal server) was very valuable from the security, distribution, and bandwidth point of view. Not to mention the multi-platform support.
    But, all Access Reports were abandon and converted to MS Excel. In my case, using Excel Object code. This allows all reports (in Excel) to be stored on a network folder under each Users name. All reports in Excel actually has turned out to be a huge advantage.