4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Does Win 7 Power Options control external hard drives?

Hi. We have a Cavalry brand USB 2.0 2-bay hard drive dock (with its own little power supply brick). The hard drives in the dock feel warm when touched, and slight vibration suggests they are both on and spinning, ready for immediate access. These are data storage drives which are accessed infequently to rarely. There is a power on/off button on the dock itself which we never touch unless adding or removing a drive. Since we don't use these drives often it would be convenient to have them spin down after a period of non-use, say 20 minutes. So, here's the question: can we use Power Options/Advanced Settings/Turn Off Hard Drive After X Minutes to control the external hard drive's behavior? Or does Power Options only work for internal drives? Obviously, we could just go change the settings and see what happens, but I wondered if anyone here in the Lounge has an answer. It's my girlfriend's PC and she doesn't want me tinkering with it unless there's a real problem, know what I mean?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post
    ...does Power Options only work for internal drives?
    To the best of my knowledge, the answer to your questions is Yes, because software is supplied with some external hard drives (e.g. Seagate and Maxtor - as was) which can spin down the drives after a period of apathy.

BTW questions posed in blue Comic Sans give the impression that you do not want a serious answer!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well I looked for a font called Death Row Gothic but, curiously, it's not available ..... So, decided to go with italic and a darker blue which looks much more serious !!
    Last edited by starvinmarvin; 2013-02-28 at 14:11.