Star Lounger
    Thanks

firefox - how does it...?

Running latest version under Windows 8 Pro, 64 bit. When first opened it displays a blank screen. If I click on the "+" sign to Open A New Tab the screen is filled (3 x 3 matrix) of websites - Windows 8 live tiles style. Is this a standard feature or what got slipped in? Don't have a problem with it - sort of neat, actually - but wondering if there is a way to control it (for eg, which sites are live-tiled, total number on screen (ie, make the existing nine smaller to allow more tiles).

When my cursor hovers over a tile there is a pushpin icon (top-left) to pin the tile to the window or an "X" icon to delete it but there is, afaik, no means to control which icons are displayed. After deleting an icon a new one replaces it to keep the matrix filled but I don't know the supplier - perhaps recently visited, or...? If I delete an icon, can I recover it (it does not go to the Recycle Bin)?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Duncan,

That is a standard feature and if you look closely you'll see that they are the sites you've most recently visited. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    The tiles are a very quick variation on the bookmark toolbar.

You can set the contents of the tiles to any web page you like. The easiest way is to left-click drag one of your bookmarks to the tile location you choose. Then select the tile and the image will be filled in from your cache.

If you clear the cache, all the images will disappear until you access the web page again. If you clear the cache on exit from Firefox, the tiles will be blank the next time you open Firefox.

You can set your homepage to "about:newtab" to make your home page look like the add a tab button if you wish.

Also there is a little icon in the upper right which will allow you to disable the tab display if you don't want it.

There are entries in "about:config" which let you control this as well (if you feel confident in what you are doing).
    I have not found any way to control the number of tiles shown.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Duncan -

To add to JC's post,if you go to
    http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/...w-tab-page-off
    it will give you some additional info. Scroll the page to get to 'How do I turn the new tab page off?' -
    "If you don't want to see top sites when you make a new tab you can easily hide them: To toggle the new tab page off or back on, open a blank tab and then click the button in the upper-right corner of the page."

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all for the info. Will go with it for now & play with it a bit