New Lounger
    Thanks

Registry type with clean or 'keep the files' Windows 8

I'll try to make this short. I am going to do a Windows 8 upgrade from Windows 7. One version is to keep all programs and files. The other is a clean install. I had Win8 on my machine and dual booted for awhile. But, I *think* the automatic updates got mixed for the ones that need a restart and I wound up with failure to shutdown a lot and finally would not.

I removed the dual boot lines from MSCONFIG and left Win7. Now my control panel does not show devices & printers.

The question: Does an install for the "keep programs and files" write a new registry and omit any problems or would it only be a clean install that would do a new registry?

Thanks
    I ALWAYS recommend a Custom Install. I further format my drive during the installation. It seems the vast majority of the very strange problems we are seeing, the type of problems that are very time consuming to fix, the type of problems that often result in the need to Custom Install, are caused by the Upgrade Install. If your original OS is not pristine, and it sounds like yours is not, do yourself a favor and Custom Install.

I realize I did not specifically answer your exact question about the registry, but hinted at it with my strange problem comment.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If you have problems on the current PC do not upgrade do a clean install. Be sure to backup your data before you start.

Joe

Thanks
    The "keep programs and files" option will keep registry entries related to your installed programs as well as many Windows settings from your current setup. If you want a clean start registry, you need the keep nothing or keep files option.

Jerry