Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Flash and Java: It's déjà vu all over again

PATCH WATCH

Flash and Java: It's déjà vu all over again

By Susan Bradley

If you feel caught in an endless loop of Java and Adobe Flash dates, you might be correct. The fixes just keep coming.

In the meantime, Windows 7 users should see Internet Explorer 10 soon, and it’s time to take on those .NET updates.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/flash-and-java-its-deja-vu-all-over-again/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2013-02-27 at 20:17.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Susan:

I have installed IE10 x64 on my Win7 desktop and laptop. Installed quickly, and runs significantly faster to my perceptions, not measured. One annoying thing: The window title was changed to refer to "Enhanced for Bing and MSN". I find that TOTALLY offensive, as I despise both Bing and MSN. Takes a registry patch to fix that. It also wiped out my preferred, default add-ons on the laptop, but just added back Bing and other M$$ crap on the Desktop.

The real fun came when I experimented with installing it into a VM I have with WinServer2008R2. Same installation results, but I then tried for compatibility with a high-end Oracle application (Oracle Primavera Portfolio Manager) installed on that VM that requires IE to run (no FireFox, etc.) -- totally broke it! I had to uninstall IE10 (from the "updates" tab not "programs" tab), and now it works again. So, the message here is: Beware of version sensitive IE required applications. Not unexpected, but certainly a disappointment.

Best wishes.

Rob

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question How can I use this valuable information??

IMHO, Susan Bradley's column contains the most helpful and valuable information in the WS Newsletter. I am failing completely to find any workable way to link the endless blizzard of updates that Micro$oft pumps out with the valuable information in Susan's column. As close as this admitted amateur has come is to manually copy/paste each KB number from the Window$ Update list and use Google to search the WS Newsletter. Very slow, clumsy, and time consuming. I would love to hear ideas from savvy WS Lounge users about automating this task to some extent. To no avail, I have asked WS Newsletter editors if some downloadable and searchable file of Susan's current column could be published and linked to in an effort to help us connect our particular Window$ Update list with Susan's recommendations. I would love to see input from Lounge experts on the easiest way to copy/paste a KB number from Window$ Update and quickly/easily see what Susan has to say about it. It would be really super if someone could craft a script to take the entire Update list and link each KB to Susan's comments, say, from the last three newsletters. I'd pay good money for such a utility. Any ideas on linking Window$ Update to Susan's suggestions, manually or "automatically", will be greatly appreciated.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan wrote: "I’m a fan of Stardock’s Start8 Start menu for Windows 8. The company behind this app has an admirable record of providing updates and support."

I'm guessing that statement is not derived from much direct experience, because on the contrary, while Stardock's Start menu offering is pretty good (though not my favorite), their record of updates and support is far from admirable. Their customer service response time is horribly slow, taking days if not a week or two or longer to respond. More important, it's now been four and a half months since they introduced Fences 2, in which a central feature, "Exclude this icon from Fences quick-hide," still doesn't work for lots of users (if not all users). And they've known about it since early on (if not before release). I've wondered if with a cash cow such as Start8, there's been much time - or is it incentive? - to fix it. Fortunately, in spite of what Stardock tells folks, Fences 1 Pro does work with Win 8. It just requires a right click on the desktop after startup to bring up the icons.
    Last edited by highstream; 2013-02-28 at 21:37.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bob I'm not advanced enough to recommend a script or link Window$ Updates to Susan's suggestions, manually or "automatically"; however, I'm a simple computer user & may I provide the following ideas
    --- When Microsoft updates are available, I use the Custom option (I have Windows XP) to see what they are and then I just let them go
    --- You can do the same to see what is ready to be downloaded per your system
    --- It's also easy enough to see what each one is for if you still want to do that (You shouldn't need Google to find out)
    --- Susan's explanations are very good since it makes it easier for us to investigate each KB we want to know about but I don't think it's neccessary to do so all or most of the time
    --- I remember when I use to do what you are doing but along the way I have learned to accept all important updates
    --- Then I view the optionals and decide which ones I want
    --- The time to do so is minimal

At the same time computer maintenance, seperate program uodates & malware protection are also very important
    --- I have seen times on my family & friends computers that a Windows Updates appears to be the problem when something goes wrong but it wasn't the case

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So here's my saga with KB 2818833 update.

I've allowed (what could go wrong) Windows 7 updates to automatically install. Then on 2/26, during the start up (boot) I noticed a black screen with white print saying Windows Update 3404 of 3404 Installing. First time I'd seen one write to the screen but, ho-hum, another MS update. Win7 loads okay and then Firefox (19) crashed on loading with the Send This Report to Mozilla popup. Every time. Chrome worked just fine but went I tried to download an online scanner installer, nothing happened. WTF! Not another trojan (I recently spent a 3 day weekend getting rid of one). I tried other sites and, no, nothing would download. I then tried opening Internet Expoiler (9) . CRASH, with it's own popup windows that didn't want to close.

So, the ESET scanner didn't find anything. I had no idea how MS would released an update that caused their own browser to crash, and cripple other browsers. I thought those days were over. Nothing was showing up in web searches, on the MS site or Mozilla's site. And then the latest Windows Secrets Newsletter (paid) arrived. Right there in Susan Bradley's Patch Watch column was the warning to not install the KB 2818833 update. Hmmm, could that update have been what was installed? Control Panel > Windows Update > (first, uncheck the auto-install feature likes Susan sez to) > View Update History > and voila!, YES, there's the bastard! > click Installed Updates > click to select KB 2818833, right click to NUKE THE GODLESS DEMON BACK TO THE HELL FROM WHENCE IT CAME!!! or Uninstall. Then a friendly popup asks to restart the 'puter, YES, DAMMIT!, and wait.

After a bit, there's the comfy desktop and ... click the Firefox icon.,Boing! It starts and fully loads. Try Internet Expoiler, and yes, it loads too. And only 2 days stumbling around.

All's well in the world and God bless Tiny Tim.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for getting back to us. It sounds like you are back in business
    --- On the KB2818833 update it's for IE10 and its a good thing you noticed Susan's recommendation
    --- However, since I don't have Windows 7, I'm curious to know: was it an important or an optional install?
    --- I suspect it should have been an optional
    --- However, if it isn't, I think you should be able to hide it so it doesn't keep coming back on you every month when updates are scheduled

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gnach View Post
    Right there in Susan Bradley's Patch Watch column was the warning to not install the KB 2818833 update. Hmmm, could that update have been what was installed? Control Panel > Windows Update > (first, uncheck the auto-install feature likes Susan sez to) > View Update History > and voila!, YES, there's the bastard! > click Installed Updates > click to select KB 2818833, right click to NUKE THE GODLESS DEMON BACK TO THE HELL FROM WHENCE IT CAME!!! or Uninstall. Then a friendly popup asks to restart the 'puter, YES, DAMMIT!, and wait.

After a bit, there's the comfy desktop and ... click the Firefox icon.,Boing! It starts and fully loads. Try Internet Expoiler, and yes, it loads too. And only 2 days stumbling around.
    I don't think KB 2818833 is an update. Perhaps you meant KB 2670838?

Bruce

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think Bruce is right: KB2818833 isn't an update
    --- You might have seen a request to upgrade (which is not an update) your browser

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce is right, I copied the number wrong. The update KB 2670838. The other was the advisory regarding preparations for IE10.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow excellent catch Bruce. gnach thanks for letting us know

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There's a problem with Firefox 19 posted here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...?f=9&t=2669249 regarding that KB 2670838 update. I'm hiding that one for sure!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hihomumio View Post
    There's a problem with Firefox 19 posted here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...?f=9&t=2669249 regarding that KB 2670838 update. I'm hiding that one for sure!
    This has only affected computers with ATI/AMD graphics cards and IGPs of HD4xxx series and earlier.

See this thread for possible workarounds if you are affected: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2159
    Last edited by satrow; 2013-03-04 at 11:26.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Hihomumio (2013-03-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rbsteinbach View Post

I have installed IE10 x64 on my Win7 desktop and laptop. Installed quickly, and runs significantly faster to my perceptions, not measured. One annoying thing: The window title was changed to refer to "Enhanced for Bing and MSN". I find that TOTALLY offensive, as I despise both Bing and MSN. Takes a registry patch to fix that. It also wiped out my preferred, default add-ons on the laptop, but just added back Bing and other M$$ crap on the Desktop.

Best wishes.

Rob
    Hi Brian,

There is an option to download a non enhanced version of Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 that does not contain the default Bing "stuff"
    Microsoft IE10 for Windows 7 Notice the check mark box to download the non enhanced version. You will then need to make decisions for search engines, home page etc. (similar to IE9)
    Last edited by Lahawk; 2013-03-04 at 11:28.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    cmptrgy, I already select updates manually. Unlike yourself, I read Susan's Patchwatch and try to avoid any patch ("Important" or optional) which rates a "Wait" or a "Skip" from Susan. Otherwise, why bother to read her column?

The latest "Patch Tuesday" patches just arrived from Micro$oft on Thursday. Unfortunately, the WindowsSecrets Newsletter arrived later. Thinking that I don't use Silverlight, I unchecked and hid that update. Only then do I see that Netflix uses Silverlight and that Susan strongly recommends that the update be installed. When I go to installed updates, the hidden Silverlight update is not shown (as "Pending"). Does anyone know how to find updates which were hidden without going to Micro$oft and finding it "manually" there?

Also, I'll repeat my original question. Has anyone found a relatively painless way to use Susan's recommendations? Her list is not ordered by patch number, and requests to the WS editors to publish an ordered list have gone unanswered. Of course, this means that EVERY update I wish to check in Susan's list REQUIRES me to "manually" examine EVERY KB number in her list until I find its listing, or not. This makes using Susan's recommendations an absolutely Royal pain in the kiester! So, I ask again, has anyone found a technique to "automate" any aspect of the ridiculously time consuming task of using Susan's recommendations? Any tips will earn my grateful thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast