2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Official IE10 release on Win 7 BSOD's

I have a fully updated and stable HP laptop running Win 7. The laptop has Intel and ATI graphics. It regularly TDR's and BSOD's using Chrome (so I tend not to use Chrome on it).

I installed IE10 and have since gotten 2 bsod's with page_fault_in_nonpaged_area. Both happened during mouse movements with IE10 open - one where I was cutting and pasting from another program. HP has never provided an updated ATI driver (current driver is a lot older then the laptop). The second BSOD came after disabling hardware acceleration in IE10. I'm uninstalling IE10 and going back to 9, and hoping to not have any more BSODs.

So, does anyone have any thoughts - other then to avoid IE10, perhaps on this ATI based system?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    what kind of HP laptop do you have, pbug56?
    can you try downloading & installing the latest ATI graphics drivers from their web site, if possible?
    also, did you install the required Windows 7 updates for IE10 listed in Microsoft KB article 2818833?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    DV7-6b75nr (HP replaced an older DV9000 series laptop they couldn't repair). HP used some sort of buggy, customized ATI driver from about 2 years ago and never updated it, and when you try to use downloaded drivers from ATI the installation is blocked. I say that because Chrome activates the ATI graphics and it takes very little to then come up with a TDR error and then a bluescreen - always citing the ATI graphics.

The IE10 installation was complete, including the 'updates'; beyond that all Win 7 updates are fully installed on this laptop.

However, this BSOD was a new one for me. No TDR with a referral to ATI drivers, and only happened with IE10 open. I don't know for sure whether ATI or Intel graphics were in use (I tried with hardware acceleration both on and off - both crashed). The error was in the kernel, tagged as a 'software error'. And it happened each time while doing mouse movements, typically for text selection before a copy and paste. There is a chance it was in the Intel graphics - on one of the bsod's I noted mention of igdpmd64.sys, which I believe is the Intel driver (which I'll try to update).

So either there is a video driver bug OR a serious bug in IE10, PERHAPS aggravated by a buggy video driver. Once I removed IE10 the problem appeared to have gone away (I've used IE9 since without problems). Keep in mind that IE10 has all sorts of optimization in it, and it is fairly common for highly optimized software to lead to OS problems.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Has anyone heard anything from MS or ATI/AMD on bug fixes for this problem? MS did announce that a whole series of laptops with hybrid Intel and ATI graphics cannot safely run IE10. It was clear that video driver updates were needed, and it seems likely that IE10 updates are also needed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It is often difficult to tell exactly what is fixed by IE patches. If this issue requires a driver update you'll probably need to get it from the PC vendor.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In this case my guess is that IE / Win 7 AND the ATI video drivers need updating. MS made that fairly clear in their KB article. What they haven't done is update the status at all since this came out, and neither has ATI, at least as far as I can tell. And yes, it will have to be HP or Dell (the firms whose laptops are most affected) to release the hybrid driver combos. And considering that the last update HP provided was from before my laptop went into production, I'm not holding my breath.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, the PC vendors often have a modified version of the graphics card for notebooks which requires changes to the graphics card driver to be made by the PC vendor. Many times the driver from the graphics cards vendor won't install on a notebook.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That is absolutely the case here. And this is very common on PCs with hybrid Intel ATI graphics, such as my DV7.

Interestingly, a DV6 CTO we very recently bought with Win 7 (yes, HP does still sell some Win 7 systems) and Nvidia and Intel based hybrid graphics seems to take NVIDIA updates just fine.