Thanks

Does win8 have a XP mode? Never mind.

I found out that it doesn't.

Sorry if it sounds stupid but I don't have win 8 running to date !!
    Last edited by Jagworld; 2013-02-27 at 17:43.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Though you answered your own question, may I add a little flesh.....

No, Windows 8 does not support XP Mode. Microsoft have built Win8 upon the Win7 kernel, so it is highly compatible with Win7 applications. There are some apps that require lower level access which can cause issues, but most Win7 programs will be fine.

Having made that choice, Microsoft also took the opportunity to finally set the nail in the coffin for XP. It believe the thinking was along the lines of, "we support legacy apps through Windows 7 XP Mode and want to move people away from that to Windows 8". In effect, Microsoft don't want anyone using XP as it will not support their Software-As-A-Service business models going forward. The end of XP extended support is on 8th April 2014 after which no further security patches or new product support will be available.

Few people use the Win7 XP-mode now: it is very limited (e.g being limited to a single CPU core) and most, but not all, legacy apps have been overtaken by time.

That said, if you need to run XP from inside Windows 8, you could look at VirtualBox, VMWare, Hyper-V or other mainstream virtualistation platforms. The downside being that you need to find an XP licence, while XP-mode gave you one for free.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinto Tech For This Useful Post:

Jagworld (2013-02-27)

Thanks
    Thx tinto;

I still dual-boot XP pro (32bit) & Win 7 home prem (64bit) on 2 drives and ALL is well :-)

I frankly like XP and the OE6 mail....period!!

I think it's a shame that almost every time we upgrade the OS, we have to get new printers and etc....

Thanks for your reply !!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That all said; super easy to get XP Mode going in Win 8. All you have to do is transfer it to VMWare and take it on the road. I use three of the four of Microsoft's most recent mainstream OSes every day and still prefer XP. The things that are lost in newer versions bother me more than the few improvements which are still often more versatile via 3rd party. Heck, now I'm using a 3rd party start menu, go figure, but we don't need to revisit that subject.

Thanks
    I have XP mode in Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on the laptop on which I also dual boot Windows 8 Pro. On my other laptop, I dual boot XP and Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit. I also run XP in VirtualBox in Windows 7 Ultimate on my desktop (and also dual boot Windows 8 Pro). Microsoft can stop supporting XP, but they can't kill it.

I have a couple of friends who are still using Windows 98, for the simple reason that it's all they need.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows