New Lounger
    Thanks

Searching entire Win7 drive using indexing

What is the best way to set indexing options in control panel and tools/folder options/search to get these results:

I want to be able to search the entire drive (including system and hidden folders for files/folders and ALL types of files containing text (including binary files))

Is this going to create very large indexes? where are they stored? Once the indexes are initially created will this type (and extent) of indexing have any negative impact on system performance?

Also, in control Panel under Add/remove Windows Features there is a additional feature called "indexing service". This is unchecked, but in task manager I do see SearchIndexer.exe running. Do I want/need the indexing service?

(Windows 7)

Thanks

Thanks
    Hi Jack,

Indexing can slow your computer, I disable it here:-

Capture.JPG
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Go to Start. Type "change search" in the search box. Click on "Change how Windows Searches" in the results. When the applet opens click on the Modify button. Change the locations to index as you see fit. Click OK. Click on the Advanced button. Click on the "file types" tab. Enable the types you wish to be indexed. Click on the "Index Settings" tab. Note the location of the index files in the "Index Location" section. Click the "Rebuild" button to force the index to be rebuilt from scratch. Click "OK" to the warning. Click "Close".

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    BTW, the index may be large. But if you really want all files indexed then that is the price you'll have to pay.

Joe

Thanks
    I find Everything search to be faster and more complete than Windows Search:
    http://www.voidtools.com/

If the file is anywhere on your hard disk, Everything will find it.
    Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Except the OP appears to want to search content and Everything does not search content.

Joe

Thanks
    I didn't see any reference to content.
    Searching entire Win7 drive using indexing
    What is the best way to set indexing options in control panel and tools/folder options/search to get these results:

I want to be able to search the entire drive (including system and hidden folders for files/folders and ALL types of files containing text (including binary files))

Is this going to create very large indexes? where are they stored? Once the indexes are initially created will this type (and extent) of indexing have any negative impact on system performance?

Also, in control Panel under Add/remove Windows Features there is a additional feature called "indexing service". This is unchecked, but in task manager I do see SearchIndexer.exe running. Do I want/need the indexing service?

(Windows 7)
    Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am looking for a Win7sp1 search utility that can be limited to indexing and then searching for only folders.
    Everything Search (I have just now heard of it, and have read its FAQs) looks like overkill for that.

For many years (going back at least to Windows 98, maybe 95), and currently on my WinXP laptop, I have used Paul Smith's DirectoryNow! utility. When instructed it indexes all of the computer's folders (two partitions, C: and D. Then to open a folder, no matter how deep it is, I type part of its folder name and DirectoryNow! comes up with a list of all of the folders containing whatever I typed into a very small desktop window (2" x 1/2", enlarges as needed, locatable anywhere). DirectoryNow! used to be available at oldversion.com, but I can't find it there now.

But I am setting up a new 64-bit Win7sp1 laptop (able to work in XP Mode, but I haven't yet learned how that works), and I suspect that DirectoryNow! won't work in it.

Is there any way to get Win7sp1 to index only folders?

And if the answer to that is yes, is there any way to get Win7sp1 to quickly switch between looking for file names and looking for folder names?

Thanks for any help.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I didn't see any reference to content.

Jerry
    Quote Originally Posted by JackPollack View Post
    It's there.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-06-05 at 21:04.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows