Thanks

Trial versions of older versions of Office

My daughter, now in college, uses a Mac; but her roommate uses a Dell Windows 7 machine, and they called me tonight with a problem:
    Her roommate took her PC to the campus IT helpdesk because it was acting strange - they 'detected' a virus that had affected Symantec Endpoint and felt that the first step would be to completely reformat her hard drive. No half-measures there from the freshmen in the IT program, I see.

The problem now is that her version of MS Office Professional Plus 2010 was wiped out in the reinstallation of Windows; she called Dell for assistance and they sent her a few links so she could download Office and activate it with her existing product key.
    None of the links worked, however, and that's where I apparently became the next stop on the Panic Express.

Back in September I had downloaded a trial version of Office 2010 for my wife's laptop, so I went to the Microsoft website - but all I found available was either 2013 or 365. The poor girl's PK, though, is for 2010 and doubtless would not work for another version. Try as I might, wherever I looked all I found was the latest and 'greatest' version of Office.

I don't want to leave this poor girl hanging without an active version of Office - especially one she's already familiar with - in the middle of the semester, with midterms approaching. Is there any way to access trial copies of previous versions of MS Office? One would think there are many scenarios in addition to mine where an older version of Office would be called for - hopefully that is the case, and I'm just not looking in the right place.

Thanks!
    Have a cookie -

Don

Thanks
    Many Dell systems will have Office trial versions packaged as part of the original Dell factory install disk.
    All one should need is a product key to activate the original Office product that was previously purchased and then download the updates.

I also recommend that you try the links she was provided by Dell, or have her re-contact dell in the event the links fail for you as well.
    Many University internet services will have site blocking capabilities in place. I don't know if this is a factor here or not.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Have a look at this site:
    ghacks: Download Microsoft Office 2010 Trial
    She will still need a product key to enter and activate. No product key, no Office.

The trial product key can be requested on this page over that the Microsoft Office website.

The try it now button leads to a Windows Live login form. It might be necessary to fill out the first and last name as well as the country before the Office product keys and download links are displayed.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-02-27 at 23:36.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

djmoore (2013-02-28)

Thanks
    Thanks, Clint - I forwarded the link to my daughter to give to her roommate.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Thanks
    The product key card only works with Office preloaded (via the starter edition) and may not work with the trial download. I had a client that bought a Dell PC where the hard drive failed. dell came out and replaced the hard drive but only loaded Windows 7 on it - not any of the preloaded software. Called dell and the gave me a link to download Office Starter. After I installed it, it upgraded with the product key card without issue. If the link Dell gave you wasn't for the starter edition, call them again and explain your issue. I found them to be very accommodating.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm interested in this thread because I've run into nearly the identical problem as DJ (or rather, the campus IT folks). I have a colleague who bought a new computer and wants to move her Office 2010 Professional Plus from the old computer to the new one. The sticking point is the Plus version, which is different from the regular Office Pro version. I have both a Pro DVD and the installer Clint's ghacks article refers to, but neither will accept her Pro Plus product key (which I verified against the original email from when she bought it).

BTW, the ghacks article lists three download links to Home & Student, Home & Business, and Professional, but all three download the exact same file (X16-32007.exe)--which Microsoft refers to as a "Single Channel" installer and which I think is the same thing Jerry was referring to as "Office Starter". I've used this same Single Channel installer before to install H&S and H&B with appropriate product keys, but Pro Plus is evidently not the same as Pro. DJ should take note that her Pro Plus key will not work with the Single Channel installer.

Like DJ, I found that all links to Office 2010 now redirect to either 2013 or 365. While the 2010 Single Channel installer can be downloaded from the ghacks link, the link to request a trial key now points to 2013/365 so I doubt that's going to help DJ get a trial version of 2010 installed as an interim solution.

I haven't found a place to download the Pro Plus 2010 installer. I'm going to take a look at my colleague's old computer in the hope it still has the original installer she downloaded somewhere on it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

dg1261 (2013-03-01)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's it! Thanks, Joe. I downloaded the Pro Plus installer and the Pro Plus key I had worked without a hitch.

So that's your permanent solution too, DJ. Much better than chasing down a trial version. Point her to Joe's link, she can download the Pro Plus installer (X16-32250.exe), and use it with her Pro Plus key.