New Lounger
    Thanks

Flash still crashing in Firefox

I'm running FF 19.0 on W7 (fully up-to-date) and Flash 11.6.602.168. I've disabled hardware acceleration in Flash. But it still crashes. There seem to be lots of suggestions out there on what to do next, but they seem to be pretty various and ad hoc and I have no reason to trust any of them. The only things that actually worked was retrograding Flash to an earlier version -- I tried that and it worked, but I'm uncomfortable sticking with old versions, especially for anything used in a browser, so when Flash was updated, I went back to the newest version. And it still crashes. For now I have Flash turned off, but this is keeping me from viewing content on sites I use.

Any suggestions of what to do?

Thanks
    Hi mlo,
    unzip my attachment and use the .exe to uninstall Flash Player. Download latest version and save it, then as instructions in my other file to install it. From RR.zip
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

mlo (2013-02-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That appears to have worked -- thanks! (I've only used the new setup for five minutes, but previously I'd have had multiple crashes by now. If the problem turns out later to still exist, I'll post that information here again.)

What did your executable do?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mlo View Post

What did your executable do?
    It's from Adobe & removes all instances of their software.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, that's odd!

For two days Flash worked without issues. Then it started crashing. Then it worked for a few hours. Now it works sometimes and crashes sometimes. I see no pattern whatsoever to when it works and when it crashes.

I checked and confirmed the "use hardware acceleration" is still turned off.

Are there are other programs or add-ons which might interfere?

Thanks
    It's possible that you have programs on your pc that don't work well together, please post an image of your installed programs. Make an Image and post it.pdf

New Lounger
    Thanks
    How do I do that? I know how to capture screen images, but I don't know a tool which will give me a list of programs on my PC. I suppose I could use the control panel's uninsiall feature and take snapshots of the list as I scroll it, but is there a better way?

Thanks
    Try disabling all your add ons except Flash and see if that helps.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting. I disabled three addons which looked problematic, restarted Firefox, and -- knock wood -- it's working again. The addons I disabled were VLC Web Plugin, Adobe Acrobat 9.5 (I also had 11.0.2 enabled, and I left that enabled), and Nvidia 3D Vision 7.17 (there were two identically-named plugins, and I disabled one of them).

Now to wait and see if the problems come back in a few days like they did the last time.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So much for that. Six hours later it started crashing again. (I wish I understood why it doesn't start crashing immediately.)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On the download page (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=JOPDD) is the following phrase: "Please note, depending on your settings, you may have to temporarily disable your antivirus software." So, try Roderunner's process again, but this time disable all antivirus software before you begin, then turn it back on after Flash is installed. I had this problem last year and disabling the antivirus software until after Flash was installed was the solution for me.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No luck with that, alas!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A look at the Firefox support page shows this to be near the top of the list of topics: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...in-has-crashed

If you're not already accessing the internet through a limited account, then you'll definitely want to set that up if you're going to run an older version of Flash. The limited account will help keep a security breach isolated from the operating system.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Had a similar problem with FF that I spent way too many hours on. My solution: switch to Chrome. That was hard for me as I've been a loyal FF and Netscape pro for many years but it's just too unstable now and fixing it takes too much valuable time. I still keep copies of FF around and miss some features but chrome boots and surfs faster (Yes I know it seems to take more memory, but still runs way faster on this 13 yo Athlon IV 975mhz. 512mb Ram)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I realize that this was started quite a while ago, but the Adobe forums have many posts within the past few days about Flash 11.7 freezing on both FF and IE. I had the same problem. Adobe says to revert to Flash 10.3 as it has all the security fixes that are in the latest version 11.7. I did that and my freezing problem is gone.