Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

MSIE 10 pre-release upgrade-pushed to release seemed to nuke system store

I loved Susan Bradley's article about MSIE 10 cautions because I had a disaster I think was related to MS pushing its pre-release to the final:

I had the former on since December, and it worked great (nevertheless, I continue to prefer Firefox). However, MS seemed to have pushed the final onto my Win7SP1, causing some bad effects: The Control Panel | Programs and features | Turn Windows features on or off DB started coming up blank. The system store was apparently corrupted. After fruitlessly trying to hack and patch my way back (because a healthy system restore point from before MSIE 10 pre-release install had been pushed off the stack), I did an in-place reinstall using Langa's procedure to bring the O/S back, without MSIE 10 (9, instead)

But, after four hours of installation, Windows Update wouldn't work, and I had to turn auto-Update and the two buttons below it off, forcibly scan for updates, which worked (found 68), then set it back to notify/confirm mode. After another two and a half hours of patching the in-place install, everything was back to normal, and the System Health Report, which had NEVER worked, also did. I didn't lose ANY settings or customizations. Seems MS' push hot-patching the pre-release of MSIE10 to the release seems to have been a problem — word of caution to pre-release adopters!

Yesterday I reasoned that MSIE 10 itself or its install wasn't the problem, but the pushed install, so since I had new SR points from the in-place pseudo-upgrade and patches as backstops, I decided to reinstall MSIE 10, which hadn't been available at microsoft.com til yesterday, did, and the store continues to work.

Though polls seem to show Chrome is now dominating the browser wars, I don't trust Google's respect for security. MSIE 10 will compete well. Opera is also a fine browser. Take your pick.

BTW: I still LOVE Corel WP Office in preference to MS Office.

Helge, bachware.com

Administrator
    Thanks
    IE10 is not yet available on Windows Update. Microsoft has not pushed IE10 to anyone yet. That will happen in the coming weeks and months.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    But Joe, the KB 2818833 (NO) update does install some prerequisite crap for IE10. And like bachware, it screwed up my system. Both Firefox and IE would crash and not load. Chrome could load but was unable to download anything. I, unfortunately, had updates auto-install and it was Susan's column that steered me the fix/uninstall.

-edit: KB2818833 is an advisory. The update is KB 2670838
    Last edited by gnach; 2013-03-02 at 20:24.

Thanks
    I upgraded to IE 10 this week. Due to the required changes in a couple of Windows 7 API's, it was a long process. The restart was also quite long, but after the restart completed, everything worked fine. The only thing I noticed was that I lost the persistent login at a couple of web sites, but after logging in to those sites, the persistent login was restored.

The next day I checked for Windows updates, and had 3 for Windows and 1 for IE 10. These updates were also a longer than usual process, including the restart. I have not noticed any further complications. IE 10 works fine.

I don't use any other browser, and none are installed on my machine, so I can't comment on any irregularities in that regard. I've tried Chrome and Firefox, but didn't care for either and subsequently uninstalled them.

All in all, other than the unusually long installation time, the IE 10 upgrade was without incident.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That's good, I don't trust it myself, too inconsistent on Win 8 for me, especially in this forum, some things work better in compatibility mode but then some other things don't (page freeze here and there). So I'm actually using Firefox for the first time and Chrome is rock solid (though I wish it were a bit more versatile in certain areas like bookmark and tab display) on the rest of the "herd," especially where Microsoft decided to punt and give Chrome and FF free reign; XP.

Thanks
    I believe that IE 10 update may have been the built in Flash update. I noticed that a couple of days ago myself.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gnach View Post
    But Joe, the KB 2818833 update does install some prerequisite crap for IE10. And like bachware, it screwed up my system. Both Firefox and IE would crash and not load. Chrome could load but was unable to download anything. I, unfortunately, had updates auto-install and it was Susan's column that steered me the fix/uninstall.
    I don't think KB 2818833 is an update. Perhaps you meant KB 2670838?

Bruce

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes the Platform Update KB2670838 for W.7 was a recommended Update.Was it supposed to be a prerequisite for İE 10? Anyone knows? İ had to uninstall it as it caused problems with a program on my system.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mysoul View Post
    Yes the Platform Update KB2670838 for W.7 was a recommended Update.Was it supposed to be a prerequisite for İE 10? Anyone knows? İ had to uninstall it as it caused problems with a program on my system.
    Probably:

Requirement
    - Ensure the Platform update is installed prior to manually installing IE10

IE10 for Windows 7 Released +

Bruce

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

mysoul (2013-03-02)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Probably:

Requirement
    - Ensure the Platform update is installed prior to manually installing IE10

IE10 for Windows 7 Released +

Bruce

Thanks for the info Bruce,any ideas what M/soft recommends to those of us,who have had problems with this particular Update? First time ever my system has had a problem with a Windows Update and i'm NOT happy.
    Said same to M/soft.
    Any advise on your part?

Julia

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Can you tells us what type of problems you had ?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply ruirib,the problem is with WinPatrolPLUS,scotty the doggy that monitors the system(if you're familiar with it) crashes.İ just came back from the WinPatrol site and the creator has offered a solution and a new update for WinPatrol,so problem solved i hope.

Will try the Windows Update again afterwards and see how i go.
    Thanks again and anyone with the same problem,an update is on for tomorrow.

P.S interestingly though the problem with the scotty monitor persisted even after the removal of the update,only NOT to the extent as before (straight after the update was installed)
    İt was quite a headache had to revert the system with ERUNT to 2 days earlier,geez...
    Last edited by mysoul; 2013-03-02 at 11:30.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It would seem the problem is more with WinPatrol than IE, even if introduced by the update for IE. I hope the update to WinPatrol solves your issue.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mysoul (2013-03-02)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    It would seem the problem is more with WinPatrol than IE, even if introduced by the update for IE. I hope the update to WinPatrol solves your issue.

Yes it seems so,will know more later on i suppose,thanks again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Please keep us posted .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast