Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Boot problem (only boots in safe mode)

I have a computer that will not boot in regular mode. When I turn it on, it goes into a screen that gives me two choices: repair or boot in standard mode. I can't use repair because I've never had the disc it wants. If I choose boot, it either goes into the same loop or it says on the bottom of the screen: "Boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible".

However, if I use the boot options (by pressing F8 when it starts), it goes into the boot options menu, and I can boot into safe mode (with and without networking both work).

I know it's not something in the hard drive. I have a clone of that drive and when I put that one in, the same problem occurs.

Obviously, if I can't boot into normal Windows, I can't log the devices that are OK until the problem occurs.

How can I find what it is that keeps it from booting into the normal Windows (7 Ultimate)?
    Last edited by joro; 2013-02-28 at 17:25.

Thanks
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

joro (2013-03-01)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info.

I don't get the BSofD, but when I try to boot in normal mode, I get the Boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible message on the screen that comes up below the choice of repair or boot.

I'm not sure how to access the Windows Recovery Environment. Any help will be appreciated.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As a follow-up, I got a Win7 installation disc and tried to use that to repair.

The Win7 boot disk failed to complete it's preparation. A notice that it could not because of "an I/O failure".
    I disconnected every I/O device found, (wi-fi card, DVD/CD drive, mouse, keyboard) one at a time, but got the same result.

Note: the machine boots perfectly and functions normally in Safe Mode. All applications work (except Safe Mode doesn't allow anti-virus real-time to function). I can only assume that one of the system files or drivers that isn't activated in Safe Mode is causing this glitch.

But how do I find it?

Thanks
    Hi joro, I'm not sure if it will make any difference. Does your computer & the Win7 disc have Service Pack 1.
    Is your OS 32bit or 64bit?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Does your computer & the Win7 disc have Service Pack 1. Is your OS 32bit or 64bit?
    Yes to both on SP1 and the OS is 64bit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joro View Post
    I'm not sure how to access the Windows Recovery Environment. Any help will be appreciated.
    Follow these steps to access the Windows Recovery Environment:

Turn the computer on, and immediately press and hold the F8 key.

After several seconds, the Advanced Boot Options screen will appear.

Use the up and down arrow keys to highlight Repair Your Computer, then press the Enter key.

Accept or change the language and keyboard selections, then click Next.

Use the mouse and keyboard to select your Windows user name from the drop-down list, and enter your Windows password, then click OK.

The System Recovery Options menu will appear. It will include several Windows Recovery Environment options, typically including the following:

Startup Repair
    System Restore
    Windows Complete PC Restore
    Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
    Command Prompt
    Toshiba Recovery Wizard

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Follow these steps to access the Windows Recovery Environment:

Turn the computer on, and immediately press and hold the F8 key.
    After several seconds, the Advanced Boot Options screen will appear.
    Use the up and down arrow keys to highlight Repair Your Computer, then press the Enter key.
    Accept or change the language and keyboard selections, then click Next.
    Use the mouse and keyboard to select your Windows user name from the drop-down list, and enter your Windows password, then click OK.

The System Recovery Options menu will appear. It will include several Windows Recovery Environment options, typically including the following below the safe mode choices:

Startup Repair
    System Restore
    Windows Complete PC Restore
    Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
    Command Prompt
    Toshiba Recovery Wizard
    When I use the F8 key my options are different. I get these options in the boot menu below the 3 safe mode choices:

Enable boot logging
    Enable low-resolution video (640x480)
    Last known good configuration (advanced)
    Directory services restore Mode
    Debugging Mode
    Disable automatic restart on system failure
    Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

Start Windows Normally

(If I choose any of these I get the BSoD)

My next attempt to fix this will be to use Auslogic's Autorun to disable drivers, one by one. This will take quite a long time, as there are a large number of drivers shown and I'll have to reboot for each driver removed.

I'm still very interested in hearing from anyone who may know any other way to solve this problem.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

When in safe mode try running an admin command prompt and type 'sfc /scannow' then press enter. it will take a little while depending on how many files it has to check and repair. See if it finds any problems it can or cannot repair.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    When in safe mode try running an admin command prompt and type 'sfc /scannow' then press enter. it will take a little while depending on how many files it has to check and repair. See if it finds any problems it can or cannot repair.
    OK. I did as you said, watched it slowly go to 100% and then verify, fairly quickly. After it finished it went back to the safe mode main screen. No results shown, no messages, no nothing. I have to assume that there was nothing this tool found to repair. I looked for any new files or logs and found ntdata, dated the same time the scan ended, but it wouldn't let me open it. Probably unrelated anyway.

Thanks
    Some malware can't operate in Safe Mode, only in regular mode. Perhaps you have some malware.

Do a scan in Safe Mode. In fact, if you can boot to Safe Mode with Networking, you'll be able to download and run a free malware scanner, such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2415255,00.asp

Thanks
    If you can boot into safe mode, try the Cleanboot diagnostic procedure. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

I siuspect a startup item oor non Microsoft service is causing the issue.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Some malware can't operate in Safe Mode, only in regular mode. Perhaps you have some malware.

Do a scan in Safe Mode. In fact, if you can boot to Safe Mode with Networking, you'll be able to download and run a free malware scanner, such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2415255,00.asp
    Thanks for the tip, MrJim. I have antimalware software installed and scan regularly (quick scan). But on the off chance that something slipped in, I did a full scan with Antimalwarebytes and then an online scan with another program. The system came out 100% clean. I guess its back to plan B (or C or D or E...)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joro View Post
    Thanks for the tip, MrJim. I have antimalware software installed and scan regularly (quick scan). But on the off chance that something slipped in, I did a full scan with Antimalwarebytes and then an online scan with another program. The system came out 100% clean. I guess its back to plan B (or C or D or E...)
    Did you try to scan from within Safe Mode? It may make a difference; it sometimes does.

You might also try a pre-Windows scan, with something like Windows Defender Offline:

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/w...fender-offline

The idea behind Safe Mode and pre-Windows is to either reduce or eliminate Windows functionality during the scan, because if Windows has malware, the malware may block your attempt to scan and clean the system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast