2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DVD +R whole pack seems defective

Hi
    I was given a spindle of DVD +R (Staples recordable) by a friend (who hadn't used any of them and didn't plan to).
    I tried 4 of them - each time, although the disk was recognised as having the correct capacity, it wasn't possible to write to them even at the lowest speed (8x) (the drive kept spinning and humming but no burning activity took place). This was the case both in Win 7 and in Ubuntu.
    Should I just assume it's a defective lot and throw them away or is there some way to get the unused ones to accept burning?

(Curiously the label on the spindle said 25x but the disks themselves bear the words: "up to 16x compatible")

Kind regards
    David
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

Thanks
    Maybe that is why they were given to you, gratis.
    Confirm your DVD/CD ROM is in good working order by attempting to burn from another brand prior to going through
    a hardware and software troubleshooting routine.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Clint
    My friend wouldn't do that (not knowingly, anyway) ... and yes the hardware and software works in other media. It's definitely a question of these particular media. Is it worth pursuing or shall I just throw them away do you think?
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Go deeper in the pack first, I've run across packs where three or four in a row were defective but the rest were fine. If a three or four "sample" from various levels all blow, then they're all probably defective and there's no getting them to work. Maybe they were mislabeled upon manufacture and they are actually a different type and your burner is not compatible but that's not very likely since most drives handle all varieties these days.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

dwsolo (2013-03-01)

Thanks
    I agree with the above, do "random" in the pack before declaring them unusable.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

dwsolo (2013-03-01)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint and FUN
    Well one from a third of the way down works so I suppose I'll take pot luck with the rest. :-)
    Cheers
    David
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

Thanks
    With the price of blanks so low I would just chuck the whole batch and get new ones.

While some may be good in the pack they still may be defective and I would not trust them to be reliable..

Get some fishing line and make mobiles out of them and hang them in your window.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recommend determining if there is a firmware update for your burner.
    Many optical discs aren't recognized with original\initial device firmware on a given burner, but then are, on subsequent updates to the device firmware.
    Do an internet search for your optical device name/model as specified in the "Windows" device manager.
    You may be happily surprised...
    Cheers, Brian

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PiffleMaster For This Useful Post:

dwsolo (2013-03-21)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Brian
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo