3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

default printer changes

I have 2 network printers showing in Control Panel/Devices and Printers. I have (or try to have) the network printer closest to my office set as the default printer. But whenever I restart my computer, I find that the default printer has changed to the other network printer (in a distant office). Not only that, but all the printing preferences on my preferred printer have been reset, so that not only to I have to change the default printer back to the one I want, but I also have to change all the printing preferences back to the ones I want. Any idea why this keeps happening?

Fafner

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Is this a corporate install where IT might be pushing settings when you login?

Joe

Thanks
    Maybe you are logged in with minimal rights, and you don't have enough rights to reset the default.

Maybe there is a policy set in Windows which is forcing it to revert to what the policy specifies.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Create a start up script to reset the default printer on login.
    I'd suggest exporting the registry settings under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Settings and then import them via the script.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I should have indicated on my first post that this is just my home office, not a corporate situation, and if there is an IT person, I am it. We have five computers and three printers. I do have rights to set the default printer on my desktop. Since I made my first post, I have rebooted several times, and I'm afraid I can't report consistent results. On one of the reboots, the default printer was changed, but on the other two or three, nothing happened. Inconsistent results make this very hard to pin down.

Fafner

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So the question remains, what is causing this change? This morning I woke the computer from its overnight sleep (no reboot involve) and once again the default printer had been changed. Once again I had to change the default back and also reset printing preferences. I guess I could just resign myself to making this part of my morning routine, but I sure would like to find out what is causing this change.

Fafner

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try Paul T's suggestion of using a script to load automatically on start-up.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    There are several possible fixes described here:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...3-8dda96dcdded