New Lounger
    Thanks

Is the claim that my e-mail was spam credible?

I've been communicating with someone at a mortgage company who claims a recent e-mail from me would up in her spam folder & that's the reason why she did not immediately respond (I've had more than 2 e-mail cycles with her). I've since responded to her again & have not received a response. It could be it's again in her spam folder. Here's my question. Unless she's taken a specific action to identify my address as spam or is filtering it, is her claim credible that my e-mail winds up in her spam folder?

Just in case you're wondering, my e-mail:
    • is straight text.
    • has no attachments.
    • has no HTML.
    • has only one addressee.
    • contains no pictures.

Thanks in advance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    From the description your email seems simple. BUT, it all depends on her spam filter. It could be her ISP. If the mortgage company has an in-house email server it could be that. If she uses an email client program it could be that. It could be the reputation of your email provider.

Joe

Thanks
    She needs to put you on her safe list.

Thanks
    I can see where a first one may end up there, but not a second or third, unless she is trying to avoid you.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    She needs to put you on her safe list.
    It really depends on his setup and where the email is being identified as spam.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Russ B - avoiding may be answer, as there is a $$$ dispute. Initial e-mails were not a problem until the last two. I suspected avoiding me, but I wanted to understand the possibilities. To my thinking, it doesn't make sense to all of a sudden be spam. Time for another phone call.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The spam catch can occur for some wording on your subject or the email contents. It is, indeed, possible and not that far fetched. Of course, it may also be a strategy to delay or avoid replies to your emails.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a similar problem on my computer until I realized that it was McAfee that was "protecting" me. Important replies from people I had sent messages to were dumped into the McAfee spam folder that had started growing in Outlook. Even messages I sent to myself were being marked as [SPAM] by the McAfee program. It seems that there was some relatively recent change in the McAfee security settings that were not made by me but came automatically with an update. I solved my problem by uninstalling McAfee altogether and am using the latest version of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) just as Fred Lang suggests. MSE works great, it fully meets the virus and spam checkers from eicar.org (check your AV protection) and spycar.org (check your spyware protection) and it is totally free!

Thanks
    I use adaptive junk filtering and Spam Assassin.

I set aside a few minutes each week to go through my spam folder and check for valid emails which got "canned" by mistake. I almost always find at least one. I quite commonly find emails from people I correspond with regularly. In fact, there are a couple of status emails I get with almost identical content from week to week and which I have found in the spam folder after dozens or even hundreds of them were not intercepted. Sometimes the filters will start canning the valid messages from a specific person at some point and keep doing it. Other times it will be a one-time interception.

So yes, it is certainly possible that your messages are being repeatedly filtered. But of course it is also possible that she is blowing you off. Hard to believe that someone at a mortgage company would do that, though. How did you find out about it? Maybe you should just ask her in person or by phone. Those methods are still better for communication than email.

Thanks
    Fyi "mortgage" is one of the biggest red-flag words that spam filters will look for. If she's not hiding from you, then a recent update somewhere in the chain of ISPs and servers between you both could be the problem--but hopefully it's only on her desktop end, so at least your email does reach her spam folder. If that's the case, her whitelisting you should work.

Thanks
    Interesting thought. If "mortgage" is a common word that spam filters look for, I wonder how many other emails addressed to her - a mortgage company employee - end up in her own spam filters. Maybe the OP needs to clue her in on this...

Thanks
    The solution is simple. Use USPS snail mail. If the communication involves something important, then use certified mail.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    From the description your email seems simple. BUT, it all depends on her spam filter. It could be her ISP. If the mortgage company has an in-house email server it could be that. If she uses an email client program it could be that. It could be the reputation of your email provider.

Joe
    Another possiblility I have dealt with for customers twice is that their ISP rotated their traffic onto pool routers (serving entire regions) that had been blacklisted due to red flagged traffic from other user accounts (same ISP). The solution in both cases included ordering a static IP from the ISPs so that their outgoing mail header's "originating IP" was exclusively and uniquely their own.