Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Crazy power supply for Desktop PC

Best Buy had an "open box" computer listed at a bargain basement price -- $207.99. It was an HP Pavilion p2-1124. 4GB of RAM, 500 GB hard drive, built-in support for two monitors, Windows 7-64 home-premium.

I figured, what the heck, here's my chance to move up from the lame computer I now have. So I bought it.

I wasn't troubled by the fact that it said that the "power cord" was missing. I have plenty of power cords at home.

Boy was I disappointed when I learned that this desktop PC uses an EXTERNAL power supply, and that they cost around $50!

I'm heading back there tonight to see if they can give me the power supply, or to get my money back.

Moral of the story: don't assume anything. Look the product over thoroughly before buying it.

Thanks
    Looks like a laptop in a desktop case http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...riesId=5187034

No PCI-E bus and a 65W external power supply.

Jerry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-03-01)

Thanks
    WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK "DESKTOP"!

Boy am I glad I saw your post, Jerry. I'm definitely getting my money back on this one -- no way am I keeping it.

Thanks
    The motherboard was probably originally designed for an All in One PC.

Jerry

Thanks
    How in the world is anyone - even an IT pro - supposed to know what's INSIDE the case, unless you remove the cover?

The back of the computer would have been a tip-off, IF I HAD LOOKED AT IT BEFORE BUYING THE COMPUTER! THERE'S NOTHING THERE! IT'S ALL COVERED UP!

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03262410.pdf

Thanks
    Best Buy. Must have been their DIY section. That's an expensive case for 200 dollars.
    How could you not look at the specs before buying [??]
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-03-01 at 21:48.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Nice quality refurbs from Joy Systems, Inc. often sold through Buy.com. Example: http://www.rakuten.com/prod/hp-dc780...226044036.html. Those 3Ghz or more Core2duo processors really hold up well in my opinion and they can be made into competent medium duty video processors and lower end high end gaming system (if that made sense) with a low profile HD 7750 or equivalent graphics card. The Dells seem to make for really good refirbs regardless of whatever was wrong with them. Stay away from anything that's not at least a Core2duo, for instance the P4 dual cores run much hotter and will pollute your workspace with hi rev fan noise and not be nearly as nimble as the Core2duo even though the processor speed may be nearly identical.

That's my wisdom,
    Oops just saw my example was an HP; they hold up well too, but the fit and finish never seems to be quite as good as the Dells.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-03-01 at 23:34.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    >>Boy was I disappointed when I learned that this desktop PC uses an EXTERNAL power supply, and that they cost around $50!

One of my customers bought a new desktop at Best Buy last year, and it uses an external power supply, also. I think that's the latest thing in manufacturing, easier to assemble and replace.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Best Buy. Must have been their DIY section. That's an expensive case for 200 dollars.
    How could you not look at the specs before buying [??]
    When I saw the price, and I knew that it was new, that was all I needed to know! Or so I thought.

What the heck: it had 4 GB of ram (my eMachines computer that I "appropriated" from my kids maxes out at 2 GB) and a 500 GB hard drive.

To make a long story short, my wife moved her office out of the house, freeing up a bunch of router ports. There is a lot less on the router now, and the "dad" port is set to "highest" priority. All of a sudden, my "lame" computer is a lot faster! So I think I'll wait on buying a new computer.

By the way, F.U.N., walmart.com is a good place to buy refurb computers. The prices are good, and if you get a bad one, it's really easy to simply return it at your local Wal Mart.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-03-03 at 23:14.

Thanks
    Here's another computer, a Dell, that looks like the same type of junk that the HP above is, except that you can't add as much memory or have as big of a hard drive as the HP:

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/in...h&isredir=true

Memory maxxes out at 2 GB, and hard drive maxxes out at 500 GB!

Thanks
    You should consider building you own. You might enjoy it.
    There is a mind boggling amount of choice, and price ranges to satisfy anyone's budget.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Here's another computer, a Dell ...

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/in...h&isredir=true

Memory maxxes out at 2 GB, and hard drive maxes out at 500 GB!
    Dell is now selling preconfigured units. If you click on Select you'll see that the low-end unit has the lowest price, and for more money you can get more memory and a bigger hard drive. I expect you could buy the 2GB unit and add more memory yourself if you want to.
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com

Thanks
    I feel really dumb! :-) What is an external power supply?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not so dumb. Here's what EnergyStar.gov says:
    "External power supplies are devices that convert ac power from a wall outlet into lower voltage dc or ac power to be used directly by electronic circuits. External power supplies come in a separate physical enclosure than the end-use product, and usually provide power to the device directly through a separate cord and plug. External power supplies are used to power a variety of electronic devices, including: laptop computers, printers, cordless phones, cell phones, etc."

When you see a power cord that has a big box connected to it (like you get with laptop power cords) or even a small box (like the power cord to recharge your cell phone) that's an external power supply.

The point is that these power supplies are often specific to the device and they cost a lot more than a simple power cord and you would certainly expect that a desktop workstation would have it built in.
    Last edited by rtanenbaum; 2013-03-07 at 12:29.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rtanenbaum For This Useful Post:

bcoop (2013-03-07),midnight (2013-03-10)

Thanks
    A-Ha! So it's about the little black box, and not providing the correct cord.
    Thank you for clarifying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast