New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 OEM Disk for HP Computer

How do I make a complete OEM win 7 disk for a HP computer. The computer did not come with a disk. The HP documentation mentions making a "recovery disk" or a "back up disk". Is this the same as a win 7 OEM operating system disk? I had a computer problem, could not get windows to boot and the win 7 recovery tools failed to fix the problem. I had to send the computer back to HP to solve the problem. No hardware was replaced (HD) by HP.
    Thanks, Sam

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Close to it, yes, an OEM install disc would become tied to the system its installed on while recovery discs would be made from the recovery partition already on the system and include specific drivers that may or may not be included in an OEM install version. You could follow through with making a recovery disc(s) but a better method, once you've gotten rid of any unwanted programs and utilities and added your programs, is to make an image of your system (with Malcrium Reflect, Acronis True Image, EaseUS ToDo, etc.) and store that away in case you ever need it, and if you do, you'll be hours ahead of where you would be using a factory recovery disc(s). I have well over a hundred gigabytes of games alone on a couple systems and imaging once they're all installed would save me days and days of installing and downloading replacement copies if something happened.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The OEMs usually provide software to create an image that you restore. This is not the same as a Windows OEM CD.
    Personally I'd use one of the free backup programs and create an image and regular backups using that.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ghlight=backup

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Check your Start Menu--there's typically a HP folder with a recovery manager application. One of the functions in the recovery manager will be for creating a set of Recovery DVDs.

Does the HDD still have the HP Recovery partition? (Typically it shows up as a drive D: in "Computer".) If it does, then FWIW, you should be able to do a factory restore without needing to send it in to HP. When you turn on the computer, press the magic key (usually F10 or F11) and it launches the Recovery partition to do a factory restore of the OS partition.

Nevertheless, I agree with the others--it's faster and easier to restore if you make your own backup with any of a number of good, third-party imaging programs.