Lounger
    Thanks

Question Indexes and Indenting

I have some very long indexes. When the reader is not on the page that has the main entry, it is not at all clear what level of the index he/she is looking at. There should be a way to either:
    1. Repeat the main heading(s) at the top of each page automatically, or
    2. To draw a vertical line extending the full height of the page that is aligned with the main heading. Of course a more general vertical line facility would do, with setting its horizontal position manually.
    Last edited by MrBip; 2013-03-01 at 23:52. Reason: clarify

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    To repeat a main heading on subsequent pages you can use a StyleRef field in the header. For instance, if the style of the main heading is "Index 1" then the field should look like this
    {StyleRef "Index 1"}

You could do a vertical line by putting a border on the Index 2 style.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks
    I see that Word has Insert Shapes, but there seems to be no vertical line, and apparently there is no ability to select the line type - dotted, heavy, etc. This seems strange.

Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Vertical lines

It's easy to draw vertical lines once you know how. Insert > Shapes > Lines. You can choose a plain line or one with arrows, etc. You see a diagonal line with a circle at each end. These can be dragged to give a line with any desired orientation. So far as I know, the color, width, and pattern of the line cannot be changed.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would be staying away from drawing lines in your document but if you do so, you can right click the line and choose Format Shape to change the line colour, width and pattern.

An easier way to have a vertical line beside the paragraphs is to add a border using the last dropdown button on the Home > Paragraph Group. If this border is added to the style then the border appears when you create the index.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Andrew.

You have cleared up several things for me.

Steve Gray