Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Free 20GB on SkyDrive might be taken away

I asked the following question on the Skydrive forum:-

"I bought Office 2010 last December. When in January 2013 I was offered and accepted a free upgrade to Office 2013/365, I was given a free 20GB space on Skydrive. If I choose not to renew the subscription in a year's time, will the free 20GB be taken away?"

Answer:-

"Yes, the 20GB is one of the features you pay for with 365. When the subscription expires, so does the space. Before the expiry date, you will get notices to renew or to move your files somewhere else. There is a grace period but we don't know how long this is likely to be".

Since Office 2013 does not offer me much improvement over Office 2010, I will probably not renew my subscription. At least now I know whats going to happen to my 20GB space.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I would say that seems quite a normal development. If you get 20 GB with a subscription, when the subscription ends, you lose the 20 GB. These 20 GB are not really free, they come with the paid subscription.

Thanks
    I had 5Gb "free" space with Windows Live. I was offered a free upgrade to 20Gb provided I continued using the provided space. I have. I am not aware that this access will expire any time. (I did not take out any subscription).
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    I had 5Gb "free" space with Windows Live. I was offered a free upgrade to 20Gb provided I continued using the provided space. I have. I am not aware that this access will expire any time. (I did not take out any subscription).
    The 20GB referenced by the OP is different from the 20GB offered to existing SkyDrive accounts. It is associated only with an Office 365 subscription. I'm not positive but I thought I'd read that if you subscribed to Office 365 and already had 25GB of storage space you would then have 45GB of storage space. The additional 20GB of storage is available only as long as you subscribe to Office 365.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    That's a totally different thing. "Old" users of SkyDrive were offered that and it's not related to subscriptions.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Original Windows Live storage

Actually, original early adopters of Windows Live SkyDrive received 25 GB of free storage. More recently (maybe about a year ago), that was cut to I think 7 GB for new subscribers. Original subscribers were offered the option to sign in and request grandfathering, in which case they avoided the cut and retained the free 25 GB.

Additional storage is available for a fee to those at either level: It's $10 per year for an additional 20 GB; $25 for 50 GB; and $50 for 100 GB.

My fiancee and I are each grandfathered with 25 GB: I have 24.5 GB of mostly photos on mine; she has 24.5 GB free on hers! I've been thinking about adding 20 GB.

JERRY

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jhorwitz For This Useful Post:

pablo234 (2013-03-07)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quite reasonable. If you cancel your 365 sub, just pay $10 per year for your 20 gig. Cheap at twice the price! I just hope the other sweeteners for 365 last - 5 machines, inclusion of Access, 60 minutes Skype to landline. I think MS is so committed to the cloud that they will preserve these and maybe add to them - I hope so!

Lounger
    Thanks

Skydrive

What's this "grandfathering"? I got 25 Gb of extra free space some time back, and am now using the Skydrive app instead of Live Mesh, and the app still shows I have 25 Gb free space, but I have never heard of "grandfathering". I'm certainly old enough to be a grandfather, maybe even a great-grandfather (!), but I don't know what that means in terms of Skydrive.
    Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonrichco View Post
    Cheap at twice the price!
    Well, not exactly...

1 GB of space on a portable hard drive currently costs about $0.02 per year ($100 for a 1 TB portable drive / 5-year service life). Double that to allow for redundancy (parity-based redundancy would cost less, but let's say you don't want to fool around with it). That gives you portable data, reliably stored and accessible at much-faster-than-normal-Internet speeds WITHOUT requiring access to the Internet, for less than 1/10th what Sky Drive is charging (yeah, Microsoft has bandwidth and server overheads associated with Sky Drive but can probably purchase the storage itself - without the added costs of portability and retail pricing - for less than 1/4 this amount, and in any event the issue is not Microsoft's costs but what relative utility WE get for what we pay).

Free is free, and I took advantage of the original Sky Drive 25 GB offer and even requested grandfathering it when the time arrived to do so, but I've never actually USED it because it can't even begin to handle the volume of data that I normally want redundantly stored and in any event the speed restrictions of our Internet connection (here in the outer sticks no one can hear you stream) makes it pretty useless for bulk backup purposes. Someday I may get around to setting it up like Dropbox to back up a small subset of my data that is relatively volatile, though, and it's potentially useful as a means of making medium-to-large files accessible to others with whom I want to share them - but I certainly wouldn't PAY to have it available since others offer equivalent facilities for free.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo234 View Post
    What's this "grandfathering"? I got 25 Gb of extra free space some time back, and am now using the Skydrive app instead of Live Mesh, and the app still shows I have 25 Gb free space, but I have never heard of "grandfathering". I'm certainly old enough to be a grandfather, maybe even a great-grandfather (!), but I don't know what that means in terms of Skydrive.
    Paul
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/grandfather

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by - bill View Post
    Well, actually I do know what "grandfather" means in ordinary parlance, but I was puzzled by its use in "geek-speak"!
    Paul

Thanks
    Or you can own your very own Personal Cloud device:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/network/networkstorage/

That would be my choice if I needed to have Anywhere, Anytime, Any Device access to my own files.
    -- Bob Primak --

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    Or you can own your very own Personal Cloud device:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/network/networkstorage/

That would be my choice if I needed to have Anywhere, Anytime, Any Device access to my own files.
    I suppose it will be safe, if you discount the possibility of theft, accident or natural disaster...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo234 View Post
    "grandfather" ... use in "geek-speak"!
    Paul
    Means early adopters/users don't lose their bonuses whenever a program goes mainstream.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cheap?

Thanks Bill - I understand that external drives are a cheap option. I back up to three external drives regularly (one off site). However for me the big advantage of cloud storage is that I can easily sync to it daily using Task Scheduler. OK you say, I can do that with a 1TB external drive, which is true. But not for me. Firstly, my local backups are encrypted - I don't want some dickhead who steals my drive having access to all my data, secondly I travel frequently making the cloud more practicable, and the cloud is off-site, meaning that I won't lose my computer and backup in a fire or burglary. That's why I say that $10 for 20 gigs is cheap. Secure (hopefully), automatic and transportable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast