3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recover to out-of-box state for Toshiba C650 Laptop

I have a 2+ year old Toshiba C650 laptop I would like to wipe clean and bring back to its out of the box state. I did not get a Win7 disc when I bought the system. I made recovery discs. I have directions on how to recover my internal storage drive from the DVDs from the boot menu and have all my files backed up on an external drive, and I have my program discs to reinstall what I need. My concern is needing a registration key for Win7, which I don't have. Is there anything else I need to do before I proceed?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The windows key is usually in a sticker in the back of the laptop. You can, however, use a tool such as Nirsoft ProduKey to obtain the key: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

It's likely that you won't even need it, but it's safer to have it in case you do.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

k32rem (2013-03-03)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So if I go ahead and use the DVDs to wipe my hard drive, will it then reinstall Win 7?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If the DVDs are the recommended way to go to back to a factory reset, yes, you will get a pristine laptop, just as it was when you bought it (with Windows 7 if that is the OS the laptop had then).

Thanks
    Get any other keys you will need, such as MS Office, before wiping the drive.

Magical Jelly Bean will give you the keys (as well as other info) for Windows and MS Office.

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/