Thanks

Security Essentials says EVRYTING is corrupted

I have been a fairly happe MSE user for some time -- till now. It started a couple days ago [I believe I posted about it] when it suddenly started telling me everything was corrupted.

I thought it may be in my setup, so I started ALL over, re-installing everything.

Now it's back to the same error message!

What the heck????

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Uninstall & re-install MSE making sure it is the latest version. Also, run Malwarebytes. Please, get back w/ the results.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you sure this is the real Microsoft Security Essentials? (I don't think you've posted about this before.)

What's the actual error message? (I don't believe MSE would just say "everything is corrupted".)

Bruce

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Bruce,

That crossed my mind, too. I, too, found the scenario a bit odd. But, the only way I could go anywhere was to reckon it wasn't meant literally or that it wasn't the exact wording of the error message. But, now that you mention it, maybe it's one of those rogue anti-virus malware things. If so, Malwarebytes will show it. You may be on to something, considering he had no change after "re-installing everything" And, if so, the OS will, likely, have to be rebuilt. Trying to get those out and be left w/ no ill effects... best just to not mess about and rebuild.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    About a week ago I got a popup in the bottom right of the screen that looked like almost authentic Windows Defender, with a message that my Windows 7 was not a valid copy, and that Windows Defender would stop protecting my computer in 30 days. There was an offer to go online to straighten this out, with a link. (This is a family desktop, and I'm not the only user I don't think I picked this one up). The message box had the Windows Defender title, but it had the graphics of Microsoft Security Essentials.

Naturally, I don't use Windows Defender in Windows 7, I use MSE, and I also know my Windows 7 is legitimate retail, so I knew immediately that it was "kidnap ware". The quickest way for me to take care of it was to restore my latest drive images (which were only a day old at that time) and be done with it. And that's what I did.

There's a possibility that Chuck has something similar. Anti-Malware scans are called for, I'd say, unless recent drive images are available.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Seems there are (now) 3 of us of the same mind.

But, yes, the trick is one must recognise and react to these blasted things before you touch them in any way or their links.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Guys, a few things:

First, when I started getting this issue, it was in the course of everyday operations, and I thought, as you all mention, that it could have been malware. Malwarebytes found nothing.

So, in frustration I started ALL over. New Windows 7 install, drivers, everything. No new downloads, just what I had already.

Everything went fine -- until I installed the MSE -- and THAT was the install proposed by Windows Update. Since I had already tried my own download, I figgered it couldn't be any worse. It wasn't worse, but no better either.

I mention again because I think it important that all the installed software came from prior downloads -- that had been working fine "forever."

I tried three different times to install MSE [64-bit]. No change. There was obviously some driver, or software that MSE wasn't liking. Unless forced to though, I was not prepared to start swapping out my programs.

I decided to at least TRY another security suite. After an hour of review reading, I decided to give BitDefender a shot -- and since it came with a 30 day trial, I couldn't be any worse off than I was at that moment. So, I downloaded and installed the Security Suite 2013.

As of this moment, I haven't had a single issue. I ran a malware scan this morning, and it was clean.

I dunno, but it looks like I might be changing dance partners!

Chuck

-------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CWBillow For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-03-13)

3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks
    Interesting, any change with OS boot speed or everyday running.