legal trainer

Insert/File Styles don't come, why? (XP)

I created a document with some styles, after tweaking it, I took out the text, so that it would be a form doc. When I Insert/File this doc into another doc, why aren't the styles there?

Thanks for your time,
    Nancy

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Insert/File Styles don't come, why? (XP)

Hi Nancy:

When a document is created, it's styles come from the attached template. Once the document is made, it's styles are independent from the template (unless you've tickedTools/Templates & Add-ins.../Automatically Update Document Styles.

When you insert document into another document, this is the same as pasting text. The rules are:

1. If the style of the pasted text did not exist in the target document, the style is created.
    2. If the style already existed in the target document, the pasted text will take on the formatting of the existing style.

However, since you deleted all the text & presumably the paragarph mark before you saved the "form file", there was nothing that was inserted into the target document except a normal style paragraph mark.

If you want to use the styles of that document, save it as a template & then create new documents based on that template. Alternatively, you could use the organizer to copy the styles from the "form doc" to the open document.

Hope this helps.

legal trainer

THANK YOU for taking the time to answer, I really appreciate it!! Very Quick Response!

I was in XP when this was occurring and in the document that was created, the task pane showed all of the styles in the document even though there was no text. Then when I Insert/File, the styles didn't come over... I'm just having a hard time understanding why that would have occurred; except for the fact you said Insert/File is just a copy and paste. I think I will just take your suggestion and use the styles embedded in a template.

Thank you again for your time,
    Nancy

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Nancy:

You're welcome. I should add that Insert/File is equivalent to copy & paste without copying the final paragraph mark.