Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

No Internet, no system restore

Hi
    This is my first post here and I am hoping somebody can help me. Some time ago my brother's laptop stopped connecting to the internet. He took it to PC World who kept it for a few weeks before telling him they couldn't fix it as it has no internet drivers. I have therefore been given the task of trying to fix it for him.

I spent all day yesterday on this and this is what I've found. when I first turned it on it ran a system check (obviously PC World hadn't shut down properly) and got a lot of inconsistent errors which Windows XP then fixed. It can connect to the wireless router no problem but simply cannot access the internet. I followed lots of instructions online including renewing the iP address but still wouldn't connect. I looked in Device Manager and found a big yellow question mark next to the Ethernet Controller so I downloaded one for the Acer 1 Netbook (his laptop) and installed it which fixed the yellow question mark but didn't fix the connectivity issue. I tried installing chrome to see if it is an IE problem but no. I ran malwarebytes and it found 9 problems which it fixed but still not connecting.

Finally I tried to do a system restore and got an error message that system restore cannot protect my computer and to turn it off and on again then try running it again. I did this a few times but kept getting the same error message. Why won't system restore even work?

My brother has given me an Acer restore disk etc but as it's a notebook it has no cd-rom drive and I have no external cd-rom.

I'm pulling my hair out - any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    Caroline

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Forgot to mention that when I ran IPConfig there is nothing in there for DNS - should there be?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Does the computer get a valid IP? If you run IPConfig, what value does it show for IP?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi
    I can't remember (at work atm) but it was 198.0. something or other so seemed ok?

Administrator
    Thanks
    If it is such a value, it would be ok, but I would check nonetheless. Is the adapter configured to obtain the IP and DNS server automatically?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi yes thats one of the instructions I found on the internet and checked

Administrator
    Thanks
    And it doesn't still get DNS server information from the router? Are there other devices / computers connected to the same router?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi
    Yes there are another 6 computers that are able to access it. It is seeing the router but just doesn't connect to the internet. It was the same at their house. PC World say internet drivers are missing. I've reinstalled ethernet controller but not sure if that's the right thing to do and I've tried reinstalling IE and Chrome.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Can it access other computers on the network and resources shared by those computers?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't looked at that yet, but will look tonight when at home. If it can see other computers what would you suggest? Likewise, if it can't?

Administrator
    Thanks
    If it can, you can share the cd / dvd reader from one of those to access the Windows XP disk and maybe try a non destructive repair install. Otherwise I would probably try to get XP into a USB flash drive or an external disc, to try to perform the repair install.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay thanks, I'll give that a try tonight.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Also, check the router configuration. There are a number of ways to limit internet access at the router level.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe
    But surely if all the other laptops and mobile phones can access the internet via the sky router then it has no other limits?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJCollins View Post
    Hi Joe
    But surely if all the other laptops and mobile phones can access the internet via the sky router then it has no other limits?
    Not necessarily. It depends on the router.

Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast