Thread: Cdrom

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cdrom

My Win7 PC no longer loads the cdrom. I don't use the cdrom very much but I have found that the problem happened in November last year. Initially I thought it was a hardware fault and bought a new cdrom and, an external one. Neither works. System restore does not go back that far, so no help there. But I can load the system from the Windows Disc! Loading from the disc doews not cure the problem. I can't re-install from the disc and am now at a loss.
    Has anyone got any ideas or come across this problem before and got a solution?

Thanks
    The only time in recent times that I've had trouble with a CD Rom drive has been when it was an IDE drive. I went through two or three IDE drives, all of them having problems, till finally I installed a SATA drive. Not a bit of trouble since doing that.

Thanks
    See if this Microsoft KB entry helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both for yur suggestions.
    mrjimphelps unfortunately it is a sata cdrom. It appears that there is a conflict with asome software which I installed in Nov last year. I have uninstalled everything from around that time and so far it has not helped.

jwitalka I will have a look at that.

again, thanks gents.

Ray

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spotter27 View Post
    Thank you both for yur suggestions.
    mrjimphelps unfortunately it is a sata cdrom. It appears that there is a conflict with asome software which I installed in Nov last year. I have uninstalled everything from around that time and so far it has not helped.
    In my case, I suspected that IDE might have been the problem, because IDE is getting older and older, and as that happens, people begin not to support it - they begin to write code that might conflict with it in some way. My suspicions were confirmed when the SATA DVD drive worked immediately and has not failed yet -- a couple of years later.

It's always possible that a Windows update is causing a problem. You might want to uninstall those which were installed right before the problem occurred. (Be sure to make a list of the ones you uninstall, along with their dates, so that you can keep track of what might be causing the problem.) The only problem with this approach is that sometimes this will cause issues for those updates which have been installed since that time. But it hasn't been that long ago, so perhaps you can uninstall all Windows updates from November till now, reboot, and see if your DVD Drive works.