New Lounger
    Thanks

Updating multiple Excel links in PowerPoint

Hi

I am having issues with updating links in PowerPpoint to Excel tables/charts.
    Using PowerPoint 2010 and Excel 2010.

When setting up the link I am using Paste Special - Paste link - Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object.
    I have checked and in the link the option is ticked to update automatically.
    The PowerPoint file is 20 pages long with perhaps 30 separate links to excel file.
    This works fine initially - if I change the Excel it either refreshes the PowerPoint automatically or as soon as I click update link.

The first problem arises when I have to save either Excel file and/or Powerpoint file as different version following signifcant changes. I can end up with 3-4 versions of Excel file and maybe 5-6 versions of PowerPoint file. I am meticulous with version control on both Excel and PowerPoint files. However I have found that PowerPoint does not update the link to new Excel file, even if PowerPoint is open whilst I am saving the new Excel file from say v1 to v2.

e.g. I have PowerPoint v1 file and Excel v1 files open, with PowerPoint linking to v1 Excel file. I want to save the Excel file as v2 (having made any necessary changes) and then want to ensure that PowerPoint links to new v2 Excel file before making any changes within Powerpoint and then saving the updated PowerPoint file as updated version.

So first question is how do I ensure that PowerPoint updates all links to v2 Excel file, without changing each linked table/chart individually?

Second question is the best way of updating these links. I currently do this by clicking within PowerPoint on File\Info and then "Edit Links to Files". (I also have added the shorcut for "Edit Links to Files" in Data group of Icons at the top of PP page). What I have found is that when I click on "Change Source" and point it to the correct updated v2 Excel file, Powerpoint firstly opens up the old file (asking me if I want to update changes and then do I want to reopen the V1 Excel file) and secondly opening up the new file (and asking the same questions).

Doing this for one updated link is not a problem. Doing this 30 times for each separate linked table/chart is much more irritating and time consuming. Unlike updating links between 2 separate Excel files, I seem to gain no benefit from having either Excel v1/v2 file open when I want to update links in PowerPoint.

So I need to find out:
    -Is there a better way of updating linked Excel files within PowerPoint so that when I save new versions of Excel file it links to the new Excel file?
    -Is there a way of updating multiple tables/charts (which all link to the same Excel file) within PowerPoint?

Please note that I know nothing about using VB so please bear that in mind if you are suggesting a solution.

Thanks very much for any help you can offer

Kind regards

James

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

The way I would do it, if there is only one Excel source book that is being linked into Powerpoint, is to name that Excel workbook as something like "dataMaster.xlsx" for Powerpoint purposes, and keep separate copies of the file for version control like..
    "dataMasterV1a.xlsx", "dataMasterV1b.xlsx", ..., "dataMasterV1h.xlsx" etc, or even..
    "dataMaster@2013-01-23.xlsx", "dataMaster@2013-02-10.xlsx", ..., "dataMaster@2013-03-19.xlsx" etc.
    This way, you still have your versioning control, but the Powerpoint file never needs to have its links updated because it will always use a single designated file. So as you update the source file, you save it with the version control but then also immediately do a file-savecopyAs "dataMaster.xlsx" etc.
    You could always keep the latest version number within the master file itself, rather than in the filename.
    Or, as I do, use the file property Comments to include the file version number.

One advantage of theis method is that if a particular new version of the excel source file screws up, you revert back by making a copy of the previous Excel version file, naming it as "dataMaster.xlsx" etc. all without having to update the Powepoint file.

zeddy
    Last edited by zeddy; 2013-03-19 at 06:24.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Zeddy. Will give that a try

Kind regards

James

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A similar question:

I have a PPT (distributed as PPS) with links on multiple pages to the same content in Excel. When it updates, it opens and closes Excel for each link. Is there a way to train PowerPoint that it doesn't need to read the content more than once?

I tried linking once and then copying that to another page. I could paste it as any number of picture types, but the only linked option was back to Excel.

This is a kiosk show-only running on "antique" computers and I want to minimize the update time that people see PowerPoint rather than my slick, finished presentation.

Thanks, Bill
    The@TechnologyIntrepreter.info