Thanks

Performance slowdown

I have a Linksys EA2700 router (1Gb max speed). I also have a desktop computer running WinXP (1Gb network connection) and a Dell laptop (100Mb network max connection) running Win7.

I want to transfer backup files from the desktop to the laptop.

I tried doing this via wireless but only managed to get about 5MB/sec speeds (too slow). After experimenting, I found that I obtained the best speeds by connecting a cable from the laptop to the router (instead of using wireless networking). This gave me about 11MB/sec transfer, which is better than twice the wireless networking speed.

But I had to exchange this router because of problems. The replacement router had upgraded firmware (1.1.39.145204).

Now when I try to do the file transfer via the Ethernet cable, I only get a measly 1.12 MB/sec max speed!

Does anyone have any ideas how I can figure out what is causing the problem? Maybe it is the firmware. Maybe not.

P.S. I did try rebooting the router but that didn't help any.

Thanks
    Hi ibe98765, use an external hdd to transfer between computers. What are the backup files your trying to move?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi ibe98765, use an external hdd to transfer between computers. What are the backup files your trying to move?
    You can use this device to connect your external hdd directly to the network:
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/soho-netwo...as-adapter/322

Here are some other similar devices:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392221,00.asp

This method is usually a lot easier than trying to share the drive from one computer to another.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-03-05 at 12:06.

Thanks
    Try Teracopy - http://codesector.com/downloads
    It integrates into Windows explorer after the install. It will show up when you do a file copy or right click on a file.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2013-03-05 at 15:04.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Copying image files that range in size from 5GB to 50GB.

I already back these up to an external drive. The reason I want to do this copy over Ethernet is that if there were any errors on the desktop to external drive file copies, I don't want to propagate those errors. So by using the network cable I go back to the original source.

As I said, I used to do this with the old router and got 11MB/sec speeds. Now I am getting 10% of that number. I want to find out why.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    You can use this device to connect your external hdd directly to the network:
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/soho-netwo...as-adapter/322

Here are some other similar devices:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392221,00.asp

This method is usually a lot easier than trying to share the drive from one computer to another.
    Interesting but I don't want to spend any additional money at this point for one of these converters.

Thanks
    I have just noticed that on the physical ethernet cable connection between the router and the laptop, when I look at the status window, the speed is shown as 10Mbps.

I tried another cable but no change. I used to get 100Mbs using the same cable and the old router. This would explain the speed cut on the Ethernet cable.

So WHY am I set at 10Mbs instead of 100Mbs and what can I do about it to get it back to the 100Mbs it should be at?

P.S. I have also noticed that my wireless speed is 72Mbs (which is slow also).

P.P.S. OK, discovered I had to change a setting for channel width of the Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230 card form 20MHZ only to AUTO (which doubles the channel width apparently. Now the wireless speed shows 144Mbs which gives me about 6.5MBs in a real transfer operation.

So the open question now is what is going on with the non-wireless network adapter that is limiting its connection to the 10Mbs speed instead of 100Mbs?
    Last edited by ibe98765; 2013-03-07 at 15:12.

Thanks
    Go into Device Manager and double click on your Ethernet adapter to bring up its properties.
    Click on the Advanced tab
    In the property window click on speed and duplex
    select 100 mbs and full duplex in the value dropdown.
    Close all windows and reboot.

If this doesn't work, go back into Device Manager and put the speed back to autonegoiate.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Go into Device Manager and double click on your Ethernet adapter to bring up its properties.
    Click on the Advanced tab
    In the property window click on speed and duplex
    select 100 mbs and full duplex in the value dropdown.
    Close all windows and reboot.

If this doesn't work, go back into Device Manager and put the speed back to autonegoiate.

Jerry
    Tried both settings. Still stuck at 10Mbs. Guess I will have to call what passes for Dell support. Oh noooooooooooooo.....