Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Will I be able to run Windows 7 or 8 on my old machine?

Hi,
    I have two desk top computers. The one that is in question here is an HP Pavilion t550a, with a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 Processor. It has 1.5 GB of RAM which cannot be expanded further because the cards are no longer available for it.
    It's operating system has became faulty and needs to be reinstalled. My questions are these:

(a) Is it worth reloading XP or is this simply too old for current use?
    (b) Can I load either Windows 7 or 8 to this machine instead, if XP is no longer much good?

Thanks for your time.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    It is possible that you can run Windows 7 on that computer, from what can be inferred from this page: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...t=404444&lang=

Whether it is worth to keep with XP or going with 7, you need to make the call. Does XP satisfy your needs? If so, you can keep it and you will know it will run the same way as it has been running. With 7, you can probably have the same performance or maybe slightly less than with XP. On the other hand, it's a more recent OS, with improvements in security and still getting the software updates that are no longer available for XP (new versions of Office, Internet Explorer, etc).

Is it worth to try 7? Depends on whether you will need to buy a license or you already have one and the cost of the license, if you don't have it yet. I would definitely not go 8, especially if you didn't buy a cheap license, but I would suspect some drivers wouldn't either be available to could give you issues, being generic drivers, for example. Anyway, in either case, you don't really know until you try.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2013-03-05)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Ibex,

HP is not very good about their older machines supporting new OSs. My research suggests that machine will only support XP. From my experience, don't try anything else... HP will likely not have the needed drivers to support more than XP.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2013-03-05)

Thanks
    Thank you both for your valuable information. (I don't know how to give you both an official thank you because I can't see any button to click on these posts to do so.) It looks like I will stay with XP then. It is an old machine and I could possibly get another year or two out of it.

How can I get all the service packs and additonal patches, etc, that were made for XP?

Thanks
    Those thank you buttons appeared when I had finished my last post. I've given both of you the thanks you deserve. I iterate my last question: How can I get all the service packs and additional pathches, etc, that were made for XP? My software DVDs only had the first patch.

Banned Member
    Thanks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2013-03-05)

Thanks
    Even though no new updates will be available shortly with Win XP, I believe WU will still allow you to get all the available updates. Drew has shown a site to get major service packs. The remaining updates should be available at WU.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2013-03-05)

Thanks
    With a maximum of 1.5 GB of RAM, I would go with XP, not with 7 or 8.

As long as you have service pack 3 for XP, you will still be able to run just about all modern programs.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2013-03-05)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Jim,

From what I can find his machine won't support anything but, XP, anyway.

Cheers,
    Drew

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2013-03-05)

Thanks
    He wanted to know if it was worth reloading XP. For me, it would be worth trying. But then again, I'm into this stuff.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Sorry, Jim... yes, in that sense, I'd agree w/ you... could, indeed, get rid of whatever mess being encountered by redoing the OS from scratch. But, as you say, we are into such stuff

Cheers,
    Drew

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, either 7 or 8 will run on the machine, 32-bit only, for I have done it. I have an old XP laptop with 2 GB that is both Win 7 and Win 8, dual boot, complete with Office 2010 and 2013 respectively, but that is an experiment as much as anything. (Win 7 was running with 1 GB before I added the second.)

I have been in a number of offices recently, and have yet to see a computer that is running anything but XP (to my amazement, I must admit).

A crucial point is that the cost of computers, and the cost of computing power, has come down dramatically since you purchased the computer, and if you buy a new machine Win 7 or Win 8 will be pre-installed. That makes the purchase of Win 7 or 8 on its own to upgrade the old machine an expensive proposition.

By all means re-install XP and drive it until the wheels fall off, just like so many others are doing, if you prefer to stick with it, or else start saving your money and do some window-shopping for a new machine that suits your needs.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2013-03-06 at 02:28.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    DB,

I think you're right, too... it makes more sense to put out for the cost of a completely new Win8 machine than spend $200 putting it on the old one. Logic does suggest, keep going until the machine can be replaced not, just the OS.

Yes, I'm a bit taken aback, also, when I see businesses, still, running XP. Just because someone is running a company doesn't mean they are necessarily hip to what's going on or prudent w/ computers or computing. Many have little or no contact w/ IT Pros to advise or guide them. (Maybe you should give them my name, LOL (just kidding). It is hurting (now or later) their ROI, productivity or (maybe) security? Probably

Cheers,
    Drew

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just because HP don't make memory for this machine any more does not mean that you can't have more memory. Compatible memory may still be available new from 3rd parties like Kingston or Crucial and you can almost certainly get memory off eBay quite cheaply.

If you can find others on the internet who have installed Win 7 on this machine, then you can almost certainly achieve it yourself, though finding the correct drivers can be a challenge requiring research into the chip sets and then seeking drivers for more recent hardware with the same chips in them.

I have been running Win7 on my 13 year old Dell laptop for several years, and have just installed Win8 on another 5 year old Dell laptop.

With more memory and a clean install of a modern operating system you can give your old machine a completely new lease of life.

And in any case, HP will not truly "support" such an old machine anyway - so what do you have to lose?

P.S. Also consider a disk upgrade - these days you need more disk space for videos than you ever did under XP.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    P.S. Vista (and hence 7 and 8) have improved power management - and you should check that your system has the latest BIOS and check the BIOS settings before installing your OS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast