Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Best ad blocker add-on for Firefox?

Lately I am finding that many pages I normally visit have become slow to load. 20 seconds to log on to Facebook and My Yahoo. These are not the only examples. I am using Firefox 19.0.1 which I recently fresh installed after I uninstalled Firefox 19.0.0. My internet connection is 15 Meg cable and my download speeds are good. I have done full scans with my antivirus, Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware and Emisoft Antimalware and they all found nothing.

I currently use an old proxy server that helps to bock ads and customize the page called Proxomitron. The filters set I use is old. I am looking for an add on to help block some of the off site stuff that I believe may be causing the slow down.

My PC is a little over 2 years old, but at the time was a near top of the line unit.

Can anyone make any suggestions or suggest an add on that might speed up page loads?

Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use Addblock Plus and then when I use Internet Explorer I wonder why it's slow and has all the junk around the edges!

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, heard of that one before, but when I put ad blocker into the add ons search window it did not come up. Putting in Addblock Plus did bring it up. I will give it a try. Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    +1 for AdBlock Plus. I have it installed on Firefox and Chrome and wouldn't surf without it.

Lounger
    Thanks

ad blocking

AdBlock Plus. You can certainly try the others, serially, but I think you'll find Adblock to be the best and easiest to use and customize for different sites. Use the default subscription for your location.

I also use Ghostery to block all the bugs, widgets, trackers, whatever, that are used - several thousand of them. By default, I enable disqus, and a few Googly things on a few select sites. If you're using Facebook and similar sites, there are a number of items you'll have to unblock - it may take a bit of fiddling to figure out which ones.

I don't know from using a proxy (having rarely done so) but consider that you are adding another hop, with attendant latency, congestion, and bufferbloat.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @ldb
    Run Adblock Plus with these TWO filter lists: EasyList and Fanboy's list.
    I found that tip a while ago in a MozillaZine thread and haven't seen any ads since I did install the second list.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In addition to AdBlock Plus, when using Chrome as my browser, I also use an extension called ScriptSafe for additional protection. When using Firefox, I use the NoScript extension to accomplish the same thing.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So far, so good with ABP. I do not miss my proxy server one. I will check into adding those lists later. Thanks

Thanks
    Can't resist adding my vote for AdBlock Plus! Used it for years and love it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ad Bloc Plus

I'll add my vote for AdBloc Plus. I've been using it for years with Firefox. I always update Firefpx to the most current version. Never had any problems with this combination. Wouldn't be without it.

Thanks
    Abine DoNotTrackPlus, NoScript and Ghostery. This combo doesn't get you blocked from sites which don't like AdBlock.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-03-07 at 15:43.
    -- Bob Primak --

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    +1 for Adblock Plus. I also use Ghostery with virtually no ill-effect.

While I'm on the subject....

Quote Originally Posted by kermidge View Post
    I also use Ghostery to block all the bugs, widgets, trackers, whatever, that are used - several thousand of them. By default, I enable disqus, and a few Googly things on a few select sites. If you're using Facebook and similar sites, there are a number of items you'll have to unblock - it may take a bit of fiddling to figure out which ones.
    .....I find that Facebook works fine unless you want to play games, in which case you can click the Ghostery icon and select Pause blocking. Or you can make it "sticky" by selecting Whitelist domain.
    Last edited by tonyl; 2013-03-09 at 09:50.

Thanks
    I use Adblock Plus and Ghostery.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I recommend AdBlock Plus (ABP) and DoNotTrack (DNTMe), which I have been using for a long time.
    As I understand it, they do quite different things and can be used together.
    Here is my naive question: by adding Ghostery, would I cause these 3 tools to get in each others' way and make my machine slower?
    Thanks.

Thanks
    I use Avast as my Antivirus suite and so use their Adblock service which is(ADBlock PLus). It works seamlessly for me on my AMD 64 Windows 7 machine. However be sure to remove Adblock Plus addon as AdBlock Plus will not allow the Avast version to run at the same time. But why would you want that anyway? As a side note for this reason I am liking Avast all that much more. I recently uninstalled MSE and installed Avast as some things were not getting reconnized by MSE even though they were not of great severity. Plus Avast offers so much more in the way of information on what it is doing. MSE just seemed to sit there and do nothing. I like the feedback Avast offers. The nice cloud based data base allows you to choose which programs, Ads etc you wish to allow as well.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast