New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile External hard drives and card reader not found

Hi,

first of all thank you for this forum....... greetings from spain.

I like many other have numerous exteranl usb hard drives and also a fitted multi card reader installed to my pc.

I have a fresh installation of windows 7 ultimate 64bit and I am puzzled as to why this hassle, it is also a new internal hard drive.

I am not a computer brain and am taking new leaps as a silver surfer! I would be most grateful for some help on what seems to be a simple, stupid matter!

many thanks indeed

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Steve,

A little more detailed info as to the exact nature of your problem would help. In the meantime, try unplugging your USB drives & reader, restart the computer (preferably from a cold stop), then reattach the drives & reader. ??Are new drivers installed??

Zig

Thanks
    Steve:

You entitled your post "External hard drives & card reader not found". You then said in your post "it is also a new internal hard drive".

Are you speaking of two different drives?

There are separate issues involved for internal drive and external drive problems.

I have had two external hard drives fail. In each case, it appeared to be the USB adapter which was attached to the hard drive. This seems to fail more often than any other component with respect to hard drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

yes these are separate things to me....

the internal drives are fine now, everything reads ok and I have the new drive installed, partitioned, with win 7 and xp on other partition of the new drive.

my problem now is that the card reader is not visible again, so that may have gone down despite being less than a month old..... BUT

despite having an external usb card reader that is not being seen, also packard bell drives not being seen despite being seen before as they are full of music and films, seems to be very temperamental on that score. Other usb drives from western digital go in and every time goes to install the drivers, so am confused over that too!

seems like things have changed so much and it's a FRESH DRIVE, FRESH INSTALL!, I have not messed around with chips etc.... the bios was followed to the letter in so much as drive boot sequence... so I am at a loss over these silly frustrating things and to why they have happened!

so to re-cap...

1. internal drives are fine....
    2. external usb drives from packard bell no longer recognised.
    3. western digital drives are...
    4. no cards can be read from usb sockets or even usb card reader.

am anxious over this and do appreciate all help, my brain just fears the complexity of this!

regards

Steve

Thanks
    Go to Device Manager (right click on Computer, choose Manage, then Device Manager). See if any of the items in the right-side list have a yellow marker. The yellow marker indicates that there is a problem with the device in question.

A few days ago, USB completely failed in one of my XP computers. I discovered it when my mouse quit working. I was also getting USB error messages.

The first thing I did was to do a Windows update, and I chose "optional updates". I looked through the list of hardware updates and found a USB update! I selected that one, and I deselected all other updates (because that's the only one I was concerned with at that moment). I installed the update and then looked in Device Manager, but a couple of devices were still "yellow". There are sometimes problems with "hidden" devices, so at the top I clicked View then Show Hidden Devices. There was a problem with one ("yellow").

I right clicked on each one and told it to update the driver, but that didn't fix it; so this time, I right clicked on the "yellow" devices and chose "uninstall".

I then right clicked on the item at the top of the list and chose "Scan for Hardware Changes". In this way, Window will try to reinstall them.

Although there was still one device marked yellow, the problem was solved - my mouse worked.

The next day, however, the problem reoccurred. I knew then that the mouse was bad and had whacked my USB. I replaced the mouse and repeated the above, and this has resolved the problem.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mr Jim has pretty much nailed it IMO. But - I have found external drives (though not yet flashcards) disappearing. Just go to computer, Manage, Disk Management and see if any drives have no letter assigned. If so, assign them a drive letter, and you probably will be able to see them again. That has worked for me a few times now - but only after I had thrown away a cable, assuming wrongly that was the problem!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jonrichco For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-03-07)