New Lounger
    Thanks

External drive stops working on USB hub

My Seagate 2TB external drive was working fine for months when plugged in via a USB 3.0 hub. Suddenly it is no longer recognized in any of the ports on that hub but works fine when plugged directly into the laptop. I am using Windows 7, 64 bit.

Does anyone know why this might happen?

Thanks
    Does the hub have a power supply, or does it draw its power from the USB line? I have found that the only reliable USB hubs are those which have their own power supplies.

Did the change occur when you plugged some other device into the USB hub? Perhaps there's a conflict.

Perhaps your USB hub has gone bad. USB is not a fully mature or bug-free technology at the present time.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hub has its own power supply. The ports all work with other devices (like thumb drives). No new device has been plugged into the hub. The external drive worked just fine via the hub for months and then suddenly stopped. The little green light on the hub is on but the drive is not recognized. When plugged directly into the laptop - instant recognition. Very strange. I would not be so puzzled, if the drive had never worked using the hub, but for it to suddenly stop working is a puzzle. Since I only use the drive for backups and system images, it is not really a problem to just plug it in when I want to use it (I do the backups and images manually, since I close the laptop lid when not in use). I just wondered why this would happen.

Thanks
    Trying the solutions given here might be worth a shot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I will.