5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Computer shut down suddenly

Yesterday afternoon my computer suddenly shut down and now it won't power back up
    --- It has been running excellently but ...

The computer is a Dell Dimension 3000
    --- Nothing happens when pushing the power button but the flicker light which is right next to the power switch connector on the motherboard is green
    --- However none of the fans literally do not even try to run and of the course the computer doesn't boot up at all
    --- No noise, no beeps, nothing

I'm not a hardware person but I'm thinking of replacing the power supply and the power switch just to see if it works
    --- For a few bucks I can test whether or not I have a sense of being a hardware person
    --- Although I'm not a hardware person when it comes to computers I am mechanically inclined and have fixed equipment at work when I was in the working world and removing & replacing the power supply is easy enough for me to do

The power supply is a PS-5251-2DS 250W and and I can get a 300W unit from http://www.911forpcs.com/deposupfrsh.html for 49.39 with free shipping and I don't think its a refurbished one but I'll find out when I call them
    --- I can get the 250W from various vendors but usually the shipping charges brings the total cost up toward about 35.00 and in many cases it is mentioned that the unit is refurbished or used
    --- BTY, on the power supply that's in the computer it was infested with dust. I clean out my computer once a year but it looks like I better do a lot better job on the power supply

The power switch is a LED Switch Power Panel 6Y702 as seen in http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Dimensi...item2c6b6f0dc2

However, I don't know whether or not either the power supply and/or the power switch are actually the cause of my problem so are there other considerations I need to look at?

Thanks
    Alternatively (hopefully not additionally) the motherboard could have failed. But I'd just change the power supply first. I'd be surprised if it was the power switch, unless if felt obviously "wrong" when you try to turn the computer on.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    If you are using a UPS and the batteries are bad some UPC's shut down..
    It has happened to me on several occasions.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Depending on how many things you now have connected on top of what came with computer maybe better to look for a 400 watt unit if can afford and make sure it is 80plus rated. It may be that you have added components such as external HDD or USB hiubs etc that are loading the power supply close to its limits so now it has failed. would not replace it with same watt rating.

Another possibility is that the C'mos battery is flat can buy these very cheaply. (although unlikely to cause the symptoms you describe)
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2013-03-06 at 06:52.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clive what is 80 plus rated?
    --- I do not have any added components so fortunately I don't have to account for that
    --- My computer is about 10 years old and the power supply that's in there is the original one
    --- I'm going to order the 300W unit today. I would check out higher ones but I will be using this computer for only about 2-3 years
    --- M$FT is discontinuing XP support next year but I want to see if I can still use it for another year or 2 as a secondary computer just as I had done with my Windows 98 computer when XP came in

Thanks
    Before you get a new power supply, you should use a multimeter to test whether your current power supply is putting out the correct voltage, etc:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...oblems/1041735

If the power supply is dead, the problem may be as simple as a bad fuse in the power supply.

Thanks
    I have had a bad video card do the same thing.
    It happened once, then after few days it happened again and then more often and then I couldn't boot at all..

Depending on where you live you can buy a power supply from Office Depot or Staples and try it and if that's not the problem you can return it and get a refund.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your inputs.
    I received the 300W power supply today, installed it and the computer is now running fine again

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    Clive what is 80 plus rated?
    --- I do not have any added components so fortunately I don't have to account for that
    --- My computer is about 10 years old and the power supply that's in there is the original one
    --- I'm going to order the 300W unit today. I would check out higher ones but I will be using this computer for only about 2-3 years
    --- M$FT is discontinuing XP support next year but I want to see if I can still use it for another year or 2 as a secondary computer just as I had done with my Windows 98 computer when XP came in
    It is the latest spec for PSU's think it means it does not damage Mobo or other components if blows and is more relaible. If you need more info on that can google it or wikipedia it for more info.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.