Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

cant find driver for hd external encloser

hi

cant find driver for usb hd external enclosure.

device manager says: The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

also, sometimes pc wont boot until i turn off the external enclosure.

another issue is that which ever socket i use i usually get msg saying that using another usb socket would be faster [and a diagram which is not helpful]

i let windows go off and look for one at update site but it finds nothing

xp pro sp3

thanks if anyone can advise
    Last edited by qaz; 2013-03-06 at 05:43.

Thanks
    Check with the mfgr of your HD external enclosure to see if they have a driver for the enclosure.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

qaz (2013-03-18)

Thanks
    well i thought of that but it seems to generic no-name cheapy

Thanks
    Look for the device in Device Manager. If you find it, you'll likely see that it is marked by a yellow marker. Right click and choose Update Driver Software.

If that doesn't work, then do a Windows Update. Choose Check for updates, then Optional updates. Look in the hardware updates to see if your device is listed. The driver may show up in that list, in which case you can install it. This should get your device working.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

qaz (2013-03-18)

Thanks
    have updated as u suggest

it always did work, but just causing minor problems

in device manager its an unknown device which has the yellow mark and no driver, to find out what it is i disabled it and the external box still works, so i guess the yellow mark etc refers to something else
    Last edited by qaz; 2013-03-08 at 08:50.

Thanks
    can anyone [or mrJim] advise me further

....appreciated

Thanks
    One more thing you might try is to go back into Device Manager, and at the top choose View then Show Hidden Devices. You may see some hidden devices that have the yellow marker. Follow the above steps with those as well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

qaz (2013-03-18)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have gotten the same message for my 2TB WD Passport externals; they still work fine. Normally there isn't any enclosure that need any drivers or at least I haven't come across any and I use a lot of externals. Sometimes there's a conflict with software already on the drive that wants to handle data it's own way but a quick format of the drive will eliminate that.

If you are using a USB3 drive in a USB2 port you will get that could be faster message. If this is a USB2 drive on a USB2 port then you may be limited to USB1.1 and that would account for the driver message you are getting as well, it means the USB drivers are flaky and not the enclosure.

You may be able to leave the drive on while booting if you find and disable the Boot from USB or Other devices in the Boot priority menu in the BIOS.

Thanks
    just looked at hidden devices...its ok

thanks fun downtown, will check all that and report back in a few days [smile]

thanks [both]

Thanks
    it is usb2 drive on a usb2 port , so from what u say [fun downtown] it may be flaky drivers. its behaving flaky too, only the front sockets are reliable now.

unfortunate i cant format it as there's too much data on it to store elsewhere, but its only personal data so there's no software to conflict with anything.

where does one get usb drivers from?

thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You can follow some of the following guidelines in this Microsoft KB article.
    Especially the part about deleting everything in the USB controllers section of device manager. Step 6 where it says to reinstall the USB drivers will happen automatically if you just let the system churn on its own for a while after rebooting and logging in.

That should return port function but you may still not have USB 2.0 speed if you don't see a Enhanced Host Controller in the USB list somewhere. One used to be able to go into the properties for the root hub and update the driver through Microsoft and wala; the USB 2.0 drivers would be installed. I don't know if that still works or if Microsoft has shifted XP to the Windows 7 method where only WU works to update drivers, maybe in optional updates? If you have an Intel motherboard, then whatever family of chipset drivers is appropriate for your system's motherboard should have them as well.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

qaz (2013-03-18)

Thanks
    thanks i will look into that in a few days

Thanks
    hi

have followed ms article above and the usb port is still flaky, sometimes a window for the remote drive opens but its empty, other time its not seen at all. as suggested i have now reinstalled all usb drivers , when i plug in the external drive an msg says its now ready to use, then another msg says its not recognized
    ----------
    another small problem:
    what i have noticed since updating xp [as suggested earlier in this post] is that my dvd drive does not have a "recordable" tab in its properties window, so its not seen by burning software. i have tried to follow MS article [see below] but certain folders are missing in the registry
    [namely: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives] .....

any ideas to fix this would be appreciated or should i make new post

thanks

hope u like my new avatar, the baseball bat has something to do with this computer if it doesn't start working properly

---------------------

Step 1: Back up the registry
    To back up the registry so that you can restore it if you have problems later, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    Click to open the following folder:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives
    On the File menu, click Export.
    In the File name box, type backup of drives key, note the location where you are saving the file, and then click Save.

Note If you have problems later, you can restore this registry subkey by double-clicking the backup of drives key.reg file that you saved.

Step 2: Edit the drive type value of the volume folder
    To edit the drive type so that Windows recognizes the drive as recordable, follow these steps:

In the navigation pane of the Registry Editor window, click the Volume{GUID} folder under Drives, where GUID is a 32-character identifier.

Note If your computer has more than one CD drive, an additional Volume{GUID} folder is listed for each drive.
    In the right side of the Registry Editor window, double-click Drive Type.
    In the Value data box, type 1 if the drive is a CD-R drive or 2 if it is a CD-RW drive.
    Click OK, and then close Registry Editor.
    Last edited by qaz; 2013-03-15 at 05:57.

Thanks
    was trying to post diagram of usb ports but its not happening

diagram usc ports Doc1.doc
    Last edited by qaz; 2013-03-15 at 05:05.

Thanks
    ''
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast